Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

How Old Is My Egg?

Last week I finally got me an Egg.  Is a large (package A) that had been a floor model for years.  The ID# in the lid is 6805. Can you tell the date of manufacture by this ID# ? It has the old(er) small wooden handle and the thermometer with the green picture of an open egg.  Thanks for any help.
Large BGE, Weber Summit, Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Kettle, Offset Smoker, and a 1974 Smokey Joe. (Love that Egg, should have got it earlier.)

Comments

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 4,873
    I don't know how to tell by the ID.  That's a good question- not sure if they are sequential numbers.  Based on the handle and thermometer all I can tell you is I think it is a pre-2012 egg.  I think they went with Tel-tru thermos in 2012.  

I suspect the cooking grid is black porcelain coated?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
  • RRPRRP Posts: 13,290
    Post some pictures if you can - especially a rear picture showing the type of band/hinge it has, but my gut feeling is it's probably newer than what you seem to think. Since I bought my first egg in 2000 they have gone through 4 different styles of dome thermometers so a closeup picture of that will help as well.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Here is picture of my vintage BGE dome thermometers - surely yours does look like any of these do they? BTW the oldest is on the right.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • egger911egger911 Posts: 28
    Smokypitt: yes my grill looks like that.
    RRP: the egg pic is on the left side of the thermometer and under that it says, "World's Best Smoker and Grill"
    Thanks guys.
    Large BGE, Weber Summit, Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Kettle, Offset Smoker, and a 1974 Smokey Joe. (Love that Egg, should have got it earlier.)
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,571
    edited May 28
    If I remember correctly, they switched from black porcelain grids to stainless in 2011. I think you're looking at 2010 or earlier.

Hinge have spring assist?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    edited May 28
    egger911 said:
    Smokypitt: yes my grill looks like that.
    RRP: the egg pic is on the left side of the thermometer and under that it says, "World's Best Smoker and Grill"
    Thanks guys.
     Another question - any feel for your dealer's turn over? I mean to still have an older model on display he must not be a mover and shaker in the egg world!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Thanks everyone. I called BGE headquarters today (about another subject) and while I had them on the phone they helped me determine the age of my egg.  Made about 4 years ago. Yes it was a floor model for quite some time. They sold some new in box, but finally decided to sell this one. Just glad I am finally an egghead  
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 4,873
    Congrats!  They have not changed much at all in the past 4 years so if you got a deal on it you came out ahead!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 831
    It's an old egg and it won't cook good. I'll take it off your hands.
    Dave - Austin, TX
    Yes, I got a great deal.  And...thanks I think I'll keep it. I have Webers and an off set smoker,  but I'm hooked on this Egg.  It's GREAT!  Thanks again to all for the help.  
  • laserdoc85laserdoc85 Posts: 540
    Age does not matter one bit. Mine is 14 years old and I have a friend who still has his from 1993
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • nealcr1nealcr1 Posts: 150
    In the older eggs where do you find the ID?
    Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II
    Nealcr1: My ID# was stamped into the lid at about the 2:00 position (when the lid is open), not at the 6:00 position as shown at the registration site. Hope this helps.