Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak!

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I'm sorry to report that I just don't see all of the bad problems with Royal Oak and I have been using it for 8 years. Yes I get that some other brands might be better but in the end a few pieces of rock have no effect on a cook. When I see one person talking up one brand more than others it makes me wonder why? Lump is wood that has been turned into lump and how much different can it really be? I do respect that some of us have our personal preference when it comes to lump but I see no reason to bash another product over and over. I would try any lump that I can easily purchase and if it was really that much better I would use it. The only way to really know is to do two cooks side by side and see how the food taste in the end. Happy Egging with what ever lump you like! :)>-

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Couldn't agree more Jim, the charcoal snobbery is amusing.  "O...M...G, I just got a rock in my RO, eww."  Next thing you know, someone will complain their hands got too dirty loading their egg.  

Look into how this stuff is made, rocks are gonna happen.

Rant mode, quickly turned off.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    @henapple I have not tried Rockwood. I have not seen it in my area - St. Aug/Jacksonville Fla. I am not opposed to giving it a try though.
    Your local Ace Hardware should be able to order it for you.  You're right on the line between the Tampa warehouse and the Loxley, AL warehouse.......any store restocked by Loxley can order it.  The farther north the more likely you are to find a store that can order it.  I saw on my list a store in Ferdandina Beach ordered some bags.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    It's not being a lump snob...just have found a better product. It has nothing to do with rocks. It has to do with clean burns, low voc's and other traits like burn time. Most of my comments are in jest. If you're happy with ro, good. If you haven't tried Rockwood or Ozark, try it. Obviously all charcoal lumps aren't the same.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • pkaboo1
    pkaboo1 Posts: 115
    Charcoal snobbery ?
    I have heard it all.
    Snellville,Ga.
  • stlcharcoal
    edited May 2014
    pkaboo1 said:
    Charcoal snobbery ?
    I have heard it all.

There's a charcoal mafia too.....

It's out there and I'm not in the union.  :(

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Not to change the subject, but, I recently used my charcoal bag picking skills on bags of Doritos. First 2 bags were round and solid on the bottom! The 3rd bag felt like it got more air pockets at the bottom.

I love Rockwood and save that for slow cooks or when I want to use smoke wood. RO is more for the regular Grilling. It's so smoky I don't NEED to add any wood chips or chunks.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    edited May 2014
    If we are on to the snobbery of lump.. Why parse words, and lets argue why we spend close to $1000 for a charcoal grill, when you can get a weber or something for much less, and cook the same way? You can't discount the guys making some great food on the old kettle grills, right?

It's all personal preference. Leave it at that. We all find value in something that others might not.

I'll spend $20 for a six pack of great craft beer that is hard to find in a heartbeat. Most folks would think twice about a $8 twelve pack of Budlight because it's too much.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    I just gave away my half-used bag of RO...that's how much the smoke bothered me. I threw a handful of cherry on tonight (first time adding wood) and while it did create much smoke, it was...sweet. Not like the bonfire smell I associate with RO.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    It looks like I have one store in Michigan that carries Rockwood and Fogo about 1/2 hour away from my house. What is a fair price per bag? This is a specialty store in a expensive area of town so I'm guessing their prices will probably be on the high end.
    Dearborn MI
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    edited May 2014
    Here on Long Island we don't have many choices (that I have found).  I tried Weekend Warrior and it was crap.  All small pieces and dust and way too expensive. Also tried Frontier and everything tasted like it was in a house fire, really bad "burnt" flavor and tons of dust in the bag.  I have used BGE and Royal Oak (Supposedly the same) and I have been loving the RO.  I let it warm up and settle for about a half hour prior to a cook and I don't get any smokey or "off" tastes at all.  I am able to hold low temps for 24 plus hours and and go over 800 when needed.  I find it lasting very well lately too.  So for about $10 for 18lbs I am good to go.  
    Long Island, NY
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Your local Ace Hardware should be able to order it for you.  You're right on the line between the Tampa warehouse and the Loxley, AL warehouse.......any store restocked by Loxley can order it.  The farther north the more likely you are to find a store that can order it.  I saw on my list a store in Ferdandina Beach ordered some bags.

I checked with my local Ace, and they can order it - at $26.99/bag plus 9% tax for 20lbs.  And they carry Cowboy (yuck).

I'll stick with ordering online.
    NOLA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    FATC1TY said:

If we are on to the snobbery of lump.. Why parse words, and lets argue why we spend close to $1000 for a charcoal grill, when you can get a weber or something for much less, and cook the same way? You can't discount the guys making some great food on the old kettle grills, right?

It's all personal preference. Leave it at that. We all find value in something that others might not.

I'll spend $20 for a six pack of great craft beer that is hard to find in a heartbeat. Most folks would think twice about a $8 twelve pack of Budlight because it's too much.

I'd always think twice about Bud light at that price. My tap water is much cheaper.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    In Regina, I only can find Royal Oak, so its the only thing i buy. No complaints.... Of all of my bags, I found maybe 2 rocks?
  • Jupiter Jim
    Charcoal snobbery ?
    I have heard it all.
    Oh no you haven't there are those black helicopters watching to see who is using what brand of lump!!!! they are silent and you have no idea they are hovering overhead while filling your egg with lump.
    There's a charcoal mafia too.....

It's out there and I'm not in the union. You can join the union at any Wal-Mart!!!

For those of you who are wondering who the black helicopters are reporting back to, it's the charcoal mafia!!!!! 

I wish someone would send me a free bag of Rockwood lump so I can compare it to Royal Oak side by side. When I get my free bag I promise to do a side by side cook in two large eggs and I will bake two of KayNOcooks easy apple cakes that we have done many times using BGE and Royal Oak lump with no smoke taste at all. Waiting for my free lump! Jupiter Jim

:)>-

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• stlcharcoal
    buzd504 said:

I checked with my local Ace, and they can order it - at $26.99/bag plus 9% tax for 20lbs.  And they carry Cowboy (yuck).

I'll stick with ordering online.
    You might show them that......we do not have any control on what these stores are charging for it.  I have no idea what they are buying it for from Ace either, or if they have to pay shipping/freight to get it from them. 
  • kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    Maybe Royal Oak is different in different markets? In my case, once the fire is running, I get no smoke and almost no odour at all. Sometimes I wonder if the Egg is actually running, when I look at it from a distance. At the beginning of the cook, but prior to putting the food on, there is a lot of smoke and smell, likely form the prior cook, or maybe vapour, but after that everything is very clean.
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • KenfromMI
    I though someone on here said buy only the Royal Oak made in the U.S. and the stuff from South America is awful. I guess it says somewhere in fine print. They said when you see it buy as much as possible.
    Dearborn MI
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    You might show them that......we do not have any control on what these stores are charging for it.  I have no idea what they are buying it for from Ace either, or if they have to pay shipping/freight to get it from them. 

He showed me the list price in the computer.  I don't know what they're buying it for, but that's what their ordering page told them to sell it to me for. 

Note - I'm not complaining - I just thought you should know.  I like the product, but when I can get it for for 20 bucks online, no tax no shipping, that's what I'm going to do, even though I would prefer to deal locally.
    NOLA
  • KenfromMI
    Sounds like a Cigar discussion we had on here. I'd love to buy from brick and mortar stores all the time. I haven't had a raise since 2008, actually took a pay cut and major health care concessions at work too that increased co pays etc. Sometimes you have to go where the deal is. We didn't create the mess in this Country we are just stuck with it.
    Dearborn MI
  • Egglovin
    Egglovin Posts: 26
    FATC1TY said:

Nailed it
    Grilling in Ga
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Question on the 10lb OO bags. Are these smaller bags filled with decent size pieces? In some brands like RO their smaller bags are filled with chips and dust. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Just ordered a few bags of maple leaf lump now that my 300lbs of RO from last fall is gone.

Won't miss RO...to much ash and too smokey for my taste!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    @JupiterJim: that's like saying there's only one way to bake a chocolate cake. As with many other things, there is some nuance to making charcoal. Wood used , how it's burned down into lump, etc. Just as an example, I tried Stubbs lump once because Costco was selling it for s good price. Bought 8 bags. Returned 7 because the pieces inside were more like wood than lump.

RO is not bad, and I would use it more if I didn't have 600+lbs of Rockwood, OO, and Figo plus others hoarded away in my garage.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    edited June 2014
    Question on the 10lb OO bags. Are these smaller bags filled with decent size pieces? In some brands like RO their smaller bags are filled with chips and dust. 
    My SWMBO bought me 14 bags of OO for christmas, I have used six or seven bags so far and I have been very pleased with it, All good sized lump and very little chips and dust, I have had a few pieces that I had to break before i used them.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Just had 60 pounds of OO delivered from Firecraft yesterday.  Looking forward to seeing how it cooks.  Had another 40 pounds of Rockwood as well.  The UPS guy has had a work out.  Mrs. TJ has been complaining about the smoke smell from RO lately.  I don't notice it. 
    caliking said:
    @JupiterJim: that's like saying there's only one way to bake a chocolate cake. As with many other things, there is some nuance to making charcoal. Wood used , how it's burned down into lump, etc. Just as an example, I tried Stubbs lump once because Costco was selling it for s good price. Bought 8 bags. Returned 7 because the pieces inside were more like wood than lump. RO is not bad, and I would use it more if I didn't have 600+lbs of Rockwood, OO, and Figo plus others hoarded away in my garage.
    I couldn't agree with you more!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Most know that I do not like Royal Smoke.  I have tried many bags from different lots and it all is the same in my book.  They should hire Smokey the Bear and Rocky the Flying Squirrel as spokespersons.

I agree with @henapple that Rockwood rocks. If you can't find it at Ace, try Firecraft with free shipping on a $100 order. It costs more than RO but I haven't been disappointed in the results.
    Milton, GA.
  • KenfromMI
    How much are you guys paying for Rockwood or Fogo etc. Looks like there is a shop by me that carries both.  Haven't been there yet to check pricing.
    Dearborn MI
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    About $21 per 20lb bag at Ace.
    Milton, GA.