Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: New photography toy!

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
I've been wanting a flash for sometime and I finally pulled the trigger. Still have a lot more on my list to up my lighting game. ;)

photo 20140524_190425_zpso5yzn4dl.jpg

photo 20140524_190652_zpsrq6cjudu.jpg

Time to put in some work to learning the ins and outs of flash photography!! :D
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• cazzy
    Options
    Some of you photography buffs might appreciate a photo of the big boy mounted (14-24 f/2.8). Damn, this set up is pretty heavy. Lol
    photo 20140524_192222_zpswl9h6lww.jpg
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Like! But I have a Nikon 300 and have migrated almost entirely to micro 4/3.
    Kemah, TX
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I got the same setup, except I shoot with Canon, 5D MkII with a speedlight 430 EX2, heavy, but well worth having with ya.  Throw on some pro glass and you got yourself a workout
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Here is my array of gear, something for just about everything! The flash is great for bouncing light off the ceiling indoors, helps me with a lot of my food shots and portrait work.
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Sweet, Congrats!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    Beautiful photo equipment! 
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice Cazzy, make sure you drop that diffuser when you're shooting at 14mm.
    Options
    I don't know anything about photography equipment but I do recognize nice things when I see them and that is very, very nice. Congradulations and enjoy.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dagriller
    dagriller Posts: 74
    Options
    Nice flash, you should see an improvement in your flash shot plus you now have more control.
    LBGE Johns Creek, GA
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Looks great and as @dagriller said, you should see a big improvement in flash shots.  Try it for outdoor fill light when in bright situations. I have and used to shoot with a Canon 5D Mk II with the 580 EX II.  That was a big boy for sure.  I am now shooting entirely with Micro 4/3 gear.  I have an Oly E-M1 and LOVE it!!!  Weighs less that half and provides amazing quality shots. 
    Long Island, NY
  • shadowcaster
    shadowcaster Posts: 620
    Options
    Can't wait to see what you try it out on.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Very nice! I bought me first top mount flash at Xmas this year and wondered why I waited so long. I love photography but my tools are limited by my budget and my interest in too many hobbies! I will say that I never have a shot of the kids anymore where lighting is an issue. Now I need a really nice close of lens with a very low f. Is that large lens a fisheye?
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • cazzy
    Options
    GeorgeS said:

Very nice! I bought me first top mount flash at Xmas this year and wondered why I waited so long. I love photography but my tools are limited by my budget and my interest in too many hobbies! I will say that I never have a shot of the kids anymore where lighting is an issue. Now I need a really nice close of lens with a very low f. Is that large lens a fisheye?

No, just an ultra wide zoom. 14-24 f/2.8

Very small distortion and tact sharp edge to edge.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

Excellent!!  I have the SB-800 and love it. There's a fairly steep learning curve to master all the intricacies of these high powered flash units with iTTL. Unfortunately, my gear is getting a little dated - still using a D-300.  Keep thinking full frame and video capabilities would be nice, but hate to carry the darn thing around.  But the current stuff still is capable of great images, when I'm motivated to lug it around.  And then there's the post processing - I hated spending time in the dark room back in the day, and now it's about the same, except no chemicals.

Santa Paula, CA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Great unit, @Cazzy!  The 910 is a powerhouse for sure.  Though TTL is not my favorite.  I do not like the camera/flash to make the decision on what power I want.  I use all my Nikon flashes manually.  Once you get the hang of it you will never go back to TTL. 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    @Cazzy, I am a little jelly over the 14-24! Stellar lens man.  Def on my holy trinity list!  So far I have 2 of the 3.  Though thinking about the 16-24 instead so I can use filters (cheaply). 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'm not a photography buff by any means. Looks like a excellent setup. I bought SWMBO hers a couple of years ago and it has served us well with several different lenses, filters, flashes, reflectors, canvas backdrops etc. I always thought she was able to just upload like off a camera phone. Guess I'm ignorant to the process of memory card to PC upload. Do they have ways to make it where she could upload without USB to PC (wireless upload to the net)? Or is that a whole different camera (if so I guess it is what it is).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cazzy
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I have one of those and they actually work.  Check out camera compatibility before you buy, and you don't need 32GB if you're uploading.  I like the 4/8 GB cards unless video is important.
    Options
    I have one of those and they actually work.  Check out camera compatibility before you buy, and you don't need 32GB if you're uploading.  I like the 4/8 GB cards unless video is important.

I agree...I just linked the biggest one so he knows what the ceiling is.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Or you can be cool and lose a bunch of weight instantly by getting one of the Nikon- or Canon-branded transmitters.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Wallet weight
    edited May 2014
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Appreciate that info! Just forwarded to my better half. Hopefully her camera is one that is compatible with this. Very cool! Thanks!

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    If you get one, I'd recommend setting up her phone's WAP as the server to connect to.  Then you have the option of storing on the phone or using a cloud service to store the photos.  They upload quick.
    Options

If you get one, I'd recommend setting up her phone's WAP as the server to connect to.  Then you have the option of storing on the phone or using a cloud service to store the photos.  They upload quick.

I'll pass that along to SWMBO. Thanks
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    And presumably that phone is wherever your wife is, whereas wifi access varies depending on location, if you have it at all....
    Options
    Awesome setup.  That lens looks unreal!!!

My limited experience with the Nikon speedlites is that they are great.  i wanted a cheap alternative and picked up a yongnuo yn468-II.  overexposes a bit but the power can be turned down. it meters through the lens (i-TTL).
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle