Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Call me crazy! 2 cases of butts in 2 days!

Options
I have volunteered to do 2 cases of butts for the local volunteer fire company event this Saturday. I'll be using my BGE XL with a Guru DigiQ and an extender rack. I did a little research and am planning on a 22-24 hour cook time at 225 for 7 butts at a shot. I'm starting Thursday morning and reloading Friday morning. Any thoughts or suggestions other than I'm crazy!
BGE XL, BBQ Guru and Looftlighter Nazareth, PA

Comments

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    That's awesome.  Never made that quantity so I can't add anything other than stock up on beer too.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I would cook them hotter than that.  275-300.

NOLA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    What's the event for if I may ask? That's a whole lotta protein! Sounds like a fun and possibly challenging cook. I know @DMW‌ recently did a bunch of BBs on his.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    @DMW just did a similar cook...
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @cazzy‌ great minds think alike. Lol. DMW was the first one that popped into my mind also. :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jah60
    Jah60 Posts: 29
    Options

What's the event for if I may ask? That's a whole lotta protein! Sounds like a fun and possibly challenging cook. I know @DMW‌ recently did a bunch of BBs on his.

It's a meat ticket raffle they do every year. They are expecting around 500 people so it'll be get it while it lasts!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Here's the one I did. I did 6 at a time in 2 batches, I'm certain I could have fit 7. Details are in the post. Let me know if you have any questions.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163451/60-pounds-of-butts#latest
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Options
    That's a HUGE cook, sounds like fun.
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

He said in the op it was for the volunteer fire department. ..&#$@, read the post numb nuts.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sounds about right.
    Options
    I'll do my best to document as I go and hope for the best!
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited May 2014
    Options
    henapple said:

He said in the op it was for the volunteer fire department. ..&#$@, read the post numb nuts.
    I was asking because my local FD does these and takes the food to the Quiggley House for battered women. I read the post I was just curious if it was for a local charity that's all.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

henapple said:

I was asking because my local FD does these and takes the food to the Quiggley House for battered women. I read the post I was just curious if it was for a local charity that's all.
    You got b-( b-(

=))
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Jah60
    Options
    DMW said:
    Here's the one I did. I did 6 at a time in 2 batches, I'm certain I could have fit 7. Details are in the post. Let me know if you have any questions. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163451/60-pounds-of-butts#latest

DMW, how did you hold the the first batch while doing the second? I'm thinking of leaving them foiled in zip locks in a 170 deg convection oven at the firehouse until batch 2 is done...any thoughts?
  • DMW
    Options
    Jah60 said:
    DMW said:
    Here's the one I did. I did 6 at a time in 2 batches, I'm certain I could have fit 7. Details are in the post. Let me know if you have any questions. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163451/60-pounds-of-butts#latest

DMW, how did you hold the the first batch while doing the second? I'm thinking of leaving them foiled in zip locks in a 170 deg convection oven at the firehouse until batch 2 is done...any thoughts?
    I would think holding that long would dry it out. I pulled my first batch as soon as I loaded the second batch. Once it was pulled I put it in gallon zip lock bags and gave it a swim in an ice water bath to rapidly cool it. I then reheated it with coke on serving day.The second batch finished the morning of the event (was for lunch), so I just FTC'd until serving time.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Scotbradly725
    Options
    Why not just turbo them? Get both batches done same day.
  • Jah60
    Options
    DMW said:
    Jah60 said:
    DMW said:

I would think holding that long would dry it out. I pulled my first batch as soon as I loaded the second batch. Once it was pulled I put it in gallon zip lock bags and gave it a swim in an ice water bath to rapidly cool it. I then reheated it with coke on serving day.The second batch finished the morning of the event (was for lunch), so I just FTC'd until serving time.

Sorry DMW, newbie here! FTC'd?
  • DMW
    Options
    Foil Towel Cooler. If you have a high quality airtight cooler or Cambro holding box, you can skip the towels. For cheap leaky coolers (like I have) the towels keep airflow (cooling) to a minimum. If you preheat the coolers with hot water and warm the towels in a dryer first, you can hold your butts for quite awhile.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Jah60
    Options
    Thanks! I've used that method before but just wasn't familiar with the acronym.