Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Must have" accessories for a Small BGE?

minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
So I love my L BGEs and use them both several times per week. For the Larges I have an AR and a second grid made from a Weber grate and bolts, a CyberQ, and loads of other cooking contraptions for them.  I have travelled with one L in the past for a family weekend get-together and it was do-able but a lot of work. I recently found a deal on a Small that I plan to use for tailgating and general weekend travel. I plan to pick it up later this week. It will come with a nest but nothing else. 

My question is for you Small owners - what are the must have accessories for the Small? I'm not getting a plate setter with it so I am thinking I will pick up a small Woo and a stone from CGS. I will likely build some type of carton to transport it easily too (no plans to shell out $200-250 for an Egg Carten). What else do you guys use or consider essential for a Small? 

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. 
L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• small Woo, stone, and Hi-Que grate.  I couldn't be happier with that set up. 

Little Rock, AR

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    small Woo, stone, and Hi-Que grate.  I couldn't be happier with that set up. 
    I have the same setup.  There is not much more you can do with a small. This does it all.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    I can't emphasize the importance of the High-Q grate enough.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    As @fred19flintstone said the HighQ is a must have if you want higher temps. My woo never leaves my small. The stone makes for easy indirect.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    A KJ junior :). It comes with the woo and stone and stand and doesn't need the high que it comes to temp factory like it should and costs less than just the base small BGE. Even if you get the small GBE I would suggest checking into the price for the KJ stand as I bet its well under $100 and functions well.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053

I use the small woo on just about every cook.  I also like to cook on CI, so have one of those grates.  When I bought the stone, I also bought the stainless drip pan.  I also have a CyberQ and bought the adapter for the small.  (I also have the PartyQ).

The one accessory I use on every single cook on both my large and small are Thirdeyes  Thirdhand grate lifting tools.  What I love about them, is that after removing the grates, they hang off of a table.  Makes them very easy to use when the grate is hot.

Link

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2014

1.  woo and drip pan

2.  woo and drip pan

3.  woo and drip pan

4.  Wok Shop's 12" hand hammered pao wok

5.  2 split firebricks for indirect barrier and trivet on a plastic tailgate cover

6.  Lodge 5qt Double Dutch Oven.  2 accessories in 1, lid serves as a skillet without a long handle.   

7.  Sittin' Chicken holder.  Able to do a 4 lb bird using the woo, pizza stone, and drip pan.

8.  Griswold #12 griddle with bail

9.  Unmarked Wagner #5 skillet

10.  Unmarked #3 skillet

11.  12" BGE stone

12.  8.5" stone

13.  Coleman plastic egg holder, goes inside the DO when empty

14.  High-q grate is in my square Husky bag with all of the small accessories above including cleaning supplies, tongs, spatula, basting brush, lighting materials, thermapen, etc.  Never use it.  Cleaning the small after two cooks is a PITA, when you can cook all weekend at the campground with the OEM grate, no worries.  Opened my small up recently out of curiosity, a 3/4 load of lump got over 600.  Backed it down after that.  Good enough for me.  Before purchasing, do a wide open cook to see if you even need one.  

15.  The Husky bag mentioned is in the back of this pic.  Really "handy", and limits loading, unloading the small stuff.  Have since wood shimmed the innards back into the egg after loading, so the milk carton is not being used at this point. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• minniemoh
    This is exactly the kind of advice I knew I could count on from you guys! Thanks to all of you that offered suggestions. I will order the Woo/stone/pan right away. I already use CGS drip pans in my L and they are SO much nicer to use than a disposable foil pizza pan - worth every penny!

@Focker - that's a great set up! I appreciate the advice on what/how you pack to go mobil too. I'll try a couple of high heat cooks to see if I need any fire grate upgrade or not.

@Lit - I looked at the KJ Jr and that was my planned purchase. However, I'm getting a good enough deal on this one that I can buy all the stuff I need and still come in well under $400 for the total package on this Small. The only exception being the portable nest. I have something else in mind for that part of the project.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Most important: High Q grate!!!!!!!!!!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    minniemoh said:
    This is exactly the kind of advice I knew I could count on from you guys! Thanks to all of you that offered suggestions. I will order the Woo/stone/pan right away. I already use CGS drip pans in my L and they are SO much nicer to use than a disposable foil pizza pan - worth every penny!

@Focker - that's a great set up! I appreciate the advice on what/how you pack to go mobil too. I'll try a couple of high heat cooks to see if I need any fire grate upgrade or not.

@Lit - I looked at the KJ Jr and that was my planned purchase. However, I'm getting a good enough deal on this one that I can buy all the stuff I need and still come in well under $400 for the total package on this Small. The only exception being the portable nest. I have something else in mind for that part of the project.
    You need it. It's a major quality of life upgrade. Just get the high q grate.  The Dutch oven is another must imo. It fits the small perfectly.  
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    http://www.amazon.com/Update-International-STR1275-Chrome-Plated-Steamer/dp/B007WAC8H4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401218929&sr=8-1&keywords=12+inch+steamer+rack

It's $5 with free shipping if you add it on to something on Amazon :).  I use this all the time for a quick raised grid.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JRWesco
    JRWesco Posts: 57
    What size stone should you use with the woo for the small ?
  • I believe its a 10" stone

Little Rock, AR

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188

the best thing I ever got for my small was a medium :)

Actually, out of everything I bought for my small, the grate mates are used every time:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/gratemates/gratemates.htm

I love them because not only do they raise the grate, but they keep it locked in.  On my woo for the medium, the grid can actually get pushed onto the felt line.

I don't think Chubby makes or sells them anymore though ..

• minniemoh
    edited May 2014
    Got the little bugger home! Wings on!

eggAddict from MN!
  • minniemoh
    Forgot the wings pic!image
    eggAddict from MN!
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    I don't own a small but later this year I will get a MiniMax.  I will get the CGS woo, stone and hi grate but the other thing that is a must have for this size is the CAST IRON grate for searing beef, pork and ahi tuna.  I have the cast iron grate for the XL and the L and  both are used regularly
  • minniemoh
    @westernbbq - forgot to mention that I already have a CI for the Small. Bought one when I got my AR. Haven't been making steaks or chops in a while. Guess I need to get back to it.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • minniemoh
    I ordered an expanded stainless fire grate last night on ebay for it. I got it from St. Louis Charcoal (I use his in one of my L BGEs too and like it a lot). 

I also just lit again to make the rest of the package of chicken wings for dinner. I used two dime-sized pieces of a starter cube and it went from 80 degree air temp to 600 degrees in 18 minutes. I thought that was pretty good considering I didn't clean it out from last night and I only had a few small pieces of lump left over. I'll see how it does with the upgraded fire grate when it gets here. 

One thing I didn't get with it was the ceramic cap to shut it down. Hoping the stainless cap gets developed for future use. 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    @minniemoh I recently purchased a small that only had the nest I am glad for this post I will get the woo and stone as well. 

@focker sent me this which I will be making to transport the small.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited May 2014

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I really like my Swing Grate from Ceramic Grill Works. It brings a lot to the table with the Small Egg.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Focker
    edited May 2014
    I don't own a small but later this year I will get a MiniMax.  I will get the CGS woo, stone and hi grate but the other thing that is a must have for this size is the CAST IRON grate for searing beef, pork and ahi tuna.  I have the cast iron grate for the XL and the L and  both are used regularly

Not sure if you have seen pics of the new addition, but it is designed to primarily function as a direct grill.  There won't be raised direct, or at least what I consider to be raised direct.  And indirect cooking with such a small firebox located so close to the grid level will be challenging.  I'm sure they will have a "convEGGtor" for it.  It could handle a rack of spares fine, but wouldn't trust it for a butt or point going 12+ hours.  

The thing I love about the small..it does everything the big boys can do, but on a smaller scale. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490

that is one of my concerns with such a compact package and the mini just doesn't cut it- not being able to do a long indirect cook is problematic  but one thing I've discovered for the LG and XL is cooking burgers and chicken breasts indirectly-sort of like smoking them over an hour to an hour point five.  the results are insanely good.  if I could rig two cooking surfaces in a MiniMax, then all of my tailgate and camping concerns are solved.  the Small BGE is too heavy  to lug around but the MiniMax would work really well, OR i'd have to buy two minis, which I don't want to do.

I am looking forward to the MiniMax release this summer!  I've got a standing order with my local bbq supplier!  Football season will be here before you know it.

• gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110
    edited May 2014

For a cast iron grid, I have a Weber 8834 "Sear Grate" on my Small Woo. I lucked out and found it on clearance from Crate & Barrel for $10! But going rate seems to be $35ish.

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww47/gmichaelsnyder/webergrid_zps56c0bad7.jpg

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    gmbbs said:

For a cast iron grid, I have a Weber 8834 "Sear Grate" on my Small Woo. I lucked out and found it on clearance from Crate & Barrel for $10! But going rate seems to be $35ish.

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww47/gmichaelsnyder/webergrid_zps56c0bad7.jpg

Nice score!  Will it sit on the standard fire ring or do you need the woo? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• minniemoh
    Focker said:

Not sure if you have seen pics of the new addition, but it is designed to primarily function as a direct grill.  There won't be raised direct, or at least what I consider to be raised direct.  And indirect cooking with such a small firebox located so close to the grid level will be challenging.  I'm sure they will have a "convEGGtor" for it.  It could handle a rack of spares fine, but wouldn't trust it for a butt or point going 12+ hours.  

The thing I love about the small..it does everything the big boys can do, but on a smaller scale. 

My sentiments exactly.

I looked at the KJ Jr and the pics of the MM and thought I would rather have full capability like the Small BGE offers. When I get too old and weak to lift and transport the Small, I'll just have to get a Mini I guess.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • gmbbs said:

That thing fits on the Woo without a problem?  I can't really tell from your picture.  According to the description, it appears to be bigger than the original grate for the small?

Little Rock, AR

• Focker

@minniemoh,

That egg appears to be gently used, if at all!  Nice find!!

Take the innards out for carrying, eases the load.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• minniemoh
    @Focker - actually it was a new floor model from a retailer getting out of the business. A little dusty from sitting in his warehouse over the winter. I was so excited to use it that I didn't even bother cleaning the dust off it. I scored a very good deal on it. I also picked up a medium too - SWMBO was not very happy with me when I got home.... May end up giving the Medium to my parents so I have one at their place to cook on. Haven't even put it together yet. Got his last two eggs. He was way out in the middle of no where so it took 6 hrs of driving to get it done but he made the deal worth it. 
    eggAddict from MN!