Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best fire grate upgrade?

Anyone have a preference on which fire grate upgrade is better?

Comments

• I really like the Ash Dragon with the fire box divider. You can use it with or without the divider. With the divider you can create a direct flame side and an indirect heat side to your grill grate. You can run a full box of lump with the divider in position and the fire will act just like it does normally. High quality stainless, very well made IMO. I look at mine as money well spent. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    High Q
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ^^ what mickey said if you have a large/med
    ^^^ what Nola and Mickey said. Got one in the large and small

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @stlcharcoal‌ fire grate. Expanded steel. Nicer and cheaper than the high que. I've owned both and gave the high que away because it slides around due to the rolled edges.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    @stlcharcoal‌ fire grate. Expanded steel. Nicer and cheaper than the high que. I've owned both and gave the high que away because it slides around due to the rolled edges.
    Just plain old expanded metal? How long does that hold up to the heat?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited May 2014
    I do hate how the high que moves so easily when I poke the lump but it works.

I
    Seattle, WA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Just plain old expanded metal? How long does that hold up to the heat?

They're thick expanded stainless steel cut on a CNC plasma table......not that "Expando" junk from the hardware store.  Mine in my BGE's are still the original prototypes from 3-4 yrs ago.

But unfortunately, we are no longer manufacturing due to all the knockoffs on eBay.  No reason for a charcoal company to compete with all of those people.  I have 1 medium, and about 20 smalls left.......no more larges.  That's it, then they're gone.

• Eggcelsior
    @carolina_q, it's 304 SS. Forever. I doubt anyone's egg will ever get near 2,500 degrees.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Gotcha. Thanks.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Regular hot rolled steel melts around 2500 F too, but it'll sag like a box spring in a chicken ranch if you heat it around the temperatures you find on your typical kamado fire grate.  

You should see my fire grate in my fire pit.  I welded 3/4" hot rolled steel together.  I'm constantly bending it back into shape.

The stainless holds up.  Steel, depending on the process and alloy, can have many different crystal lattices, which have different properties.  The chromium in steel makes it hold up well against the heat and corrosive environment of fire.  A mild steel fire grate will not last long. 
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241

which ever one you upgrade to, make sure you keep the ooriginal one. When I put in a warranty claim on my cracked firebox, the mothership wanted me to take a pic of the grate I was using.

Good to know
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Eggcelsior

Regular hot rolled steel melts around 2500 F too, but it'll sag like a box spring in a chicken ranch if you heat it around the temperatures you find on your typical kamado fire grate.  

You should see my fire grate in my fire pit.  I welded 3/4" hot rolled steel together.  I'm constantly bending it back into shape.

The stainless holds up.  Steel, depending on the process and alloy, can have many different crystal lattices, which have different properties.  The chromium in steel makes it hold up well against the heat and corrosive environment of fire.  A mild steel fire grate will not last long. 

Mine is flatter than a girls cross country team after 1 year of use. I'll keep this in mind, though. Gotta love 18% chromium.
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    I went with a High Q because that is what I saw here. Never knew there was another one made by @stlcharcoal

Got a pic of yours?
  • Eggcelsior
    r8rs4lf said:

I went with a High Q because that is what I saw here. Never knew there was another one made by @stlcharcoal

Got a pic of yours?
    This is what I have. Pic is from @NibbleMeThis‌ site.

• BLDGMAN
    BLDGMAN Posts: 30
    You need to check these out, you will not be disappointed...... http://michaelscustomgrillworks.com I have a 3/8" rod grate that's outstanding!
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    High Q - both Mini and Large. No going back, ever.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini