Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First use of Egg and first brisket - why not jump directly into the deep end??

Options
Ok, so after getting good advice yesterday here to just go ahead and use my new medium Egg, I went out and got a 11.8lb full brisket, made a version of Mickey's Coffee Rub (substituted Trader Joe's Coffee&Cocoa for the espresso), rubbed the brisket and let it sit while I got the egg set up.  Had hoped to get the meat on by midnight, but being new I probably used more charcoal than I needed and probably let it burn too long - temp in egg was in 450 range for an hour or so while I throttled it down.  Once down to 250 or so and stable I put the meat on around 0200.  Went to bed and got up at around 0430, 0630 and 0830 for checks - temps were holding nicely and internal meat probe showing around 175.  Later the temp started to drop down closer to 200 on the dome thermometer and I realized the charcoal was giving out.  I transferred the brisket to a 250 oven while i got some new lump coal in and started and as soon as i could throttle it back down to around 250 I put the brisket back on.  Using the platesetter with an elevated drip pan with a little beer in it.  Now the internal meat temp has gotten to 195 for about the last hour.  I'm ahead of my anticipated dinner time by about 3-4 hours.  Should I pull it now and FTC or keep it in egg for the next 2 hours or so trying to hold the temp where it is?  I don't want to poke a bunch of holes in it trying to guage its doneness.  Pics to follow

Comments