Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza dough help please!!

Options
Probably my favorite thing to cook on the Egg since getting it for Xmas is pizza. I am very pleased with the results but am always looking to make things better. The problem I seem to be encountering the most when I stretch my dough out, I appear to have "spots" where the dough is mush thinner than in other spots, leaving the final product somewhat uneven -- thin in some spots, thicker in others. Is it possible I'm getting these spots b/c I am not kneading the dough enough? Perhaps the glutens aren't fully forming? I am using 3 1/2 cups of bread flour, 2 tb oil, 1 1/2 cups water and yeats. Ultimate goal is very thin, very crisp pies. Thanks for the help guys!

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Learn to toss the dough. It takes a bit, and I'm not very good at it, but it helps get a nice uniform round.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    I was having the same problem.  Knead it longer.  Over 5 minutes at least.  Then let it rise until it at least doubles in size, then punch it down and give it another knead for a couple minutes and then let it rise again.  That's what seemed to help me anyway.  I am sure others will chime in too with some good suggestions.

Living Large and XL

• fstylz21
    fstylz21 Posts: 30
    Options
    Next time I am definitely going to knead longer. Everything else about the pie is spot on and if I could just iron out this one kink I would be stoked. This last time I kneaded, let it rest till it doubled, punched it down, reformed it into a ball and let it second rise in the fridge. Liked the taste of the crust better but still had same problem when I was stretching it. @DMW I do give it a toss or two...used to work in a pizza shop as a teenager actually. It is a lot of fun!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    How long do you leave it out of the fridge? More uniform and much easier to form if you leave it out for about 2 hours. For me anyway.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I have had great luck with @zippylip wet dough.  Great for cooking at temps over 600F.  Here is his slideshow if you are interested:

Does anybody else use this dough?  I am surprised it is not more popular.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    NDG said:
    Does anybody else use this dough?  I am surprised it is not more popular.
    I had never seen it until this morning when it came up in the other thread. I tried Marc's original recipe 2-3 times and for some reason, it just doesn't work for me. My fault I'm sure as others seem to like it. Will have to give this one a spin as I do like to go 6-700°.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fstylz21
    fstylz21 Posts: 30
    Options
    I live in FL and have never seen that type of dough @NDG....@Carolina_Q sometimes I let it come up to temp on the counter and other times I have not (usually involves how many beers I have had). Great looking pictures @NDG. Do you guys press out by hand or use a roller?

• Carolina Q
    Options
    fstylz21 said:
    Do you guys press out by hand or use a roller?

Always by hand. Here are a couple of links that you may like. The first is how to form a dough ball (so you wind up with a round pizza). The second is how to press out the ball (stop watching when you get to the rolling pin part.)  :).

I don't use the semolina dip thing, just dust with flour.

And t the dough has been in the fridge, you HAVE to let it warm before using. Take it out before you open a beer. Haha.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    I have heard you are not supposed to use a roller but I do anyway.  Comes out perfect.  BTW I skip putting it in the fridge altogether.  After the second rise, I start making the crusts.  Too many rules.  I just do what works!

Living Large and XL

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Good advice above.  If refrigerated, let the dough come up to temperature by resting on the counter for about 2 hours before trying to stretch the ball.  If the dough is still too elastic (keeps snapping back), cover with a damp towel and allow to rest for another 10-15 minutes.  

The problem with using a rolling pin is that it tends to push out all the air bubbles the yeast creates (which create a lovely, airy crust).  If the goal is very thin, very crisp pies, then it seems like rolling it out wouldn't be a bad thing as far a desired results.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    MO_Eggin said:
    If the goal is very thin, very crisp pies, then it seems like rolling it out wouldn't be a bad thing as far a desired results.
    Or, you could just buy some tortillas.  :))

Michael 
    Central Connecticut