Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does Lump sometimes pop?

Options
Yesterday using my egg I heard a loud pop noise. Sounded like something cracked. It was too hot after my cook to inspect and disassemble. I plan on doing that today. Let all the charcoal burn out and I'm breaking out the shop vac. I ramped up the heat after a rib cook to make pizzas but it was only at about 450 degrees when I heard the noise. Does lump sometime pop like a natural wood fireplace? 
Dearborn MI

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Check your firering for a crack.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yes lump can pop. But, +1 on inspecting for stress cracks. I have had a couple of brands of lump that snap, crackled and popped through an entire cook. But, I don't use either of those any longer. If your lump doesn't typically pop even more reason to take a closure look once it cools off.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Lump usually only pops when first lighting. I'd bet it's a fire ring or fire box. Most likely a fire ring. I've replaced my fire ring twice. I gave up on getting a new ring every time.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    It could have been a rock with some moisture or an air pocket in it. They'll make a large pop and scare you.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    +1 on what @stlcharcoal‌ said. I'd bet on a rock that blew. I remember Boy Scouts and getting rocks to put around the campfire. If they got hot enough, blammo!!! Still check your fire ring and box, though!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No........... Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Its only a month old I wonder if those are warrantied. I thought these things were supposed to be indestructible for the price. My $369 WSM is 9yrs old and no problems whatsoever.
    Dearborn MI
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    KenfromMI said:
    Its only a month old I wonder if those are warrantied. I thought these things were supposed to be indestructible for the price. My $369 WSM is 9yrs old and no problems whatsoever.
    If you bought it new from an authorized dealer, lifetime warranty on the included ceramics (body, firebox, firering, etc). The plate setter has a 3 year warranty.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

Lump usually only pops when first lighting. I'd bet it's a fire ring or fire box. Most likely a fire ring. I've replaced my fire ring twice. I gave up on getting a new ring every time.

I would say 100% agree except the fact I ran 3 bags of Frontier from Sams Club and that stuff sparked and popped from start to finish even running 350℉ and when I made pizza at 650℉-750℉ it was like the 4th of July. I haven't bought anymore. I currently use WGWW and the only time I've got sparks/pops is using MAPP to lite it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Well everything looks good. If anything is cracked its hairline and its not rearing it's ugly head yet. Cleaned it up good and checked everything. gave me a chance to put in my New High Que grate I already ordered for it too.
    Dearborn MI
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    KenfromMI said:
    Weber charcoal grills are indestructible. BGE ceramics, FAR from it. Warranted forever, but definitely not indestructible.

My kettle is older than I can remember (20 yrs? 25?) and all I have replaced is the grid (an upgrade to SS). Though it is starting to rust a bit now. Finally. My large egg is 4+ years old and needs a new firebox and base. So far.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• KenfromMI
    Options
    My Weber Gasser is 20 years old as well. I had to replace the grates and flavorer bars once because they rotted from the underneath. Same burner and same electric spark starter. Stays outside in Michigan Winters too.
    Dearborn MI