Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carten Update

Well folks I have worked out a deal with my past supplier who will be shipping the Cartens to me for for assembly. This will mean a little higher price for the Cartens but I think I can make them available again for those who are still in the market If interested please check out the blog spot at http://eggcarten.blogspot.com/

I also want to make clear that the Carten is not affiliated with Big Green Egg in any way.

Scott

Comments

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Im in, where do we sign up for one?
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Where is every one!?!

The Carten has been a hot topic since you feel off the map

XLBGE 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Scott, I am in for a Mini. Send me a PM and let get this going. @slewis.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    I'm in for a mini! I have to find Scott's email address.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Have a friend that needs one. Also when traveling and no table to sit on I pull the Mini out and flip it over and sit the Mini on the upturned bottom.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Glad to see you are back in business.  Our mini don't leave how without it.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'm in as well. 

Perhaps you can change the name to some like Kamado Carten(K-cart)? That rolls off the tongue nicely.
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    I definitely want one for my mini.  What is the price?
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Eggcelsior
    I definitely want one for my mini.  What is the price?
    150/200 mini/small
  • Thanks for your effort.  I'm in for one carten for my small.  When will ordering details be available?

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• any idea if the Vision Kub will fit in the Carten for a Mini?
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    I'm in for a small. How do we get you the order info?
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• slewis
    slewis Posts: 7
    Good to hear from my Salado friends...especially upside down Mickey!! HaHa
    For those who are interested please send an email with your name and address to slewis87@msn.com and if you are looking for a mini or small. I will keep a list in priority order and will ship in the order I received your email. I don't think there will be any problems but don't want to start receiving money for the Cartens until I receive the shipment from my vendor. Looking forward to helping my fellow Egg heads be mobile!
    For those asking about some of those other "cookers" sorry don't have any current plans to design for them.

SL

Scott
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Email sent... not sure about you folks, but this is EGGciting!!!! :)
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    @slewis - bought mine fromm you at Salado last year. Great product! Hope you and your family are doing well.

Springram
    Spring, Texas

LBGE and Mini
  • r8rs4lf
    Email sent. Any way you can provide the measurements of the carten? I don't have a BGE mini, instead I have the vision kub. Just want to make sure it fits.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    @r8rs4lf‌ the vision doesn't fit its too big.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Email sent.  I would like one for both my Small and Mini eggs.  Thanks Scott.
  • r8rs4lf
    edited May 2014
    Lit said:
    @r8rs4lf‌ the vision doesn't fit its too big.

What exactly is too big? The shelves come off. If it doesn't fit in the mini, maybe the small? Need measurements please!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    @r8rs4lf‌ the vision diameter is wider it hit the side bars when I tried to put it in. I am sure the small will work though.
  • r8rs4lf
    OK, has anyone heard anything? I sent an email.
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Just sent Scott an email for a mini carten. So stoked!
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Picture please?
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Do you have plans in the future for large Eggs?
  • r8rs4lf
    That would be a little heavy wouldn't it?
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Any chance you have the dimensions to build one for the mini max??
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • rontho
    rontho Posts: 109
    I've been a otr truck driver for a while and considered a mini to take with me. My problem is the cool down time. Is it possible to (after dumping the coals of course) put it in the Carsten and load into my truck while still warm/hot? Otherwise I'm considering a simple smokey joe
  • Eggcelsior
    rontho said:

I've been a otr truck driver for a while and considered a mini to take with me. My problem is the cool down time. Is it possible to (after dumping the coals of course) put it in the Carsten and load into my truck while still warm/hot? Otherwise I'm considering a simple smokey joe

I think so. At fests they shut down larges in 1 hour by dumping charcoal out. Then they are loaded into vehicles. Mini should be no issue. I am able to pick it up after 1 hour with coals in it to put back on the shelf in the garage.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited June 2014
    rontho said:

If you're looking to do basic cooks I wouldn't think twice about purchasing a Smokey Joe. Just kind of sucks waiting on an egg to cool down when you could be on the road. I used to haul my small with me to softball for burgers, brats, chicken, and other small cooks for the team. Just became too much of a pain in the ass for such basic meals to travel with. Smokey Joe hardly weighs a couple pounds. The Joe can be dropped, kicked, tipped, without any worries. I can pick up the Joe with one hand and dump the ash and pack it away 5 minutes later. The mini/small is not worth the hassle for basic cooks when using it in a time crunch before traveling. The egg works too well and will retain heat for hours. The carrier will help with traveling but it doesn't necessarily help cool it down any faster. I personally wouldn't want to travel with hot coals still in the egg. Maybe I'm a little too cautious. Everyone knows how fun cleaning out a mini can be! All this is just my opinion though. If you plan on grilling an hour plus every meal I would consider an egg and time wasn't an issue. Coming from a mini/small owner.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • rontho
    rontho Posts: 109
    edited June 2014
    yeah I think your right, to bad I didn't have one of those condo trucks, even then I couldn't bring my XL with me. God I miss her (the XL not the wife)
    WeberWho? said:
    If you're looking to do basic cooks I wouldn't think twice about purchasing a Smokey Joe. Just kind of sucks waiting on an egg to cool down when you could be on the road. I used to haul my small with me to softball for burgers, brats, chicken, and other small cooks for the team. Just became too much of a pain in the ass for such basic meals to travel with. Smokey Joe hardly weighs a couple pounds. The Joe can be dropped, kicked, tipped, without any worries. I can pick up the Joe with one hand and dump the ash and pack it away 5 minutes later. The mini/small is not worth the hassle for basic cooks when using it in a time crunch before traveling. The egg works too well and will retain heat for hours. The carrier will help with traveling but it doesn't necessarily help cool it down any faster. I personally wouldn't want to travel with hot coals still in the egg. Maybe I'm a little too cautious. Everyone knows how fun cleaning out a mini can be! All this is just my opinion though. If you plan on grilling an hour plus every meal I would consider an egg and time wasn't an issue. Coming from a mini/small owner.