Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving!! ... Exactly HOW do I move this thing??

Options
Greetings friends!

Really exciting week here. Closing on a new house Wednesday. Have a few able bodies to help me schlep the big items over come Thursday. One of which has to be the large BGE. I bought them off with promises of home brew and pulled pork.

I'd rather do it right in the nest, frankly. Less dissembly the better.

I literally have 0.4 miles to go to the new place. Think we can slow roll it in the back of the truck?

Encouragement is encouraged. I've been in the same house, renting, for 11 years. Packing has been a nightmare.

Thanks gang!
8-Damien
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Options
    I break mine down.  I drive it 4 hours to my brothers house frequently in my mid-sized sedan.  It's literally 2 carriage bolts and it's completely disassembled.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    jerryp said:
    I break mine down.  I drive it 4 hours to my brothers house frequently in my mid-sized sedan.  It's literally 2 carriage bolts and it's completely disassembled.
    Really?  My carriage bolts both bent considerably when I initially assembled it.  I pretty much figure if I ever take them off...I'm not getting it back on.  Plus I'm afraid about dealing with the big spring as I'm not sure where I put those plastic spring retaining clips...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    Not going that far just have someone sit in the back with it and take it easy
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options

I'd put it in the bed and strap her down snug.  Toss some blankets on the sides for padding.  And drive carefully! 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I don't think I would use the nest to roll it up the ramp.  The nest is just not that stable especially heading up an incline (ramps on those moving trucks are fairly steep).  If you remove the innards (fire ring and bowl) then it shouldn't be too hard to move it.  I think one person could handle it but definitely 2.  It might be awkward for two people to try to move carry it up the ramp of a moving truck but two could lift and set it on the back. 

You could also get one of the potlifters if you want to make it easier for two people to carry it.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    0.4 of a mile........................walk it down the street!!!!!!!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I go 1600 miles most summers Tx to FL and back in the Nest and no problem with the ramps. Hell, @henapple and I move 5 for the parties at Salado on ramps (and we are drinking). I never take out of the nest. On the long trips I slip cardboard between the guts.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Driving Hamster
    Options
    Just last night I used a "pot lifter" to get the egg out of the table. Needs two people but works well giving you a pair of nice handles to hold on to.
    Large BGE. Southeast Pennsylvania. @BrianObst
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Do you have a riding lawnmower?

Get a pull cart and set up the egg on that. Smoke a butt or something the day of the move. Drive down the street and watch your new best friends come out on droves.
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    Options
    I'm moving from pa to Ohio in July. I'm worried about my egg too. The moving company said they build a crate for it, I hope that works :)
    Aurora,OH
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Roll it on a trailer, strap it down and have someone sit with it.  Put your four-ways on to the new pad.   
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    hondabbq said:

Second this idea assuming you've got a smooth/paved road between the houses.

AND

you can even roll it down the street to the new house WHILE smoking your pork butt!

Congrats on the new home ownership!

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I'm moving from pa to Ohio in July. I'm worried about my egg too. The moving company said they build a crate for it, I hope that works :)
    Moved from Seattle to Dallas last summer.  The moving company built a crate for it and it there was no damage once it was unpacked.  You should be good @NervousDad!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    BRush00 said:
    hondabbq said:

Second this idea assuming you've got a smooth/paved road between the houses.

AND

you can even roll it down the street to the new house WHILE smoking your pork butt!

Congrats on the new home ownership!

Thanks!

It'd be like Pied Piper after I've smoked up the whole neighborhood..  
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

Another tip for moving an Egg in the Nest, I take a ratchet strap run though the handle and hinge down each side to opposite side of nest snug it up nice and tight and now the Egg can't fall out of the nest. I was moving demo Eggs at the Sunshine fest 2 years ago and the guy in front of me with a large in a nest thought he could tip the egg and nest like a hand truck! trust me that doesn't work as the egg came out of the nest to the concrete and about 15 pieces. Not piece of ceramic was salvageable. Then at the cooks drawing the same guy won a medium Egg!!!! JJ

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I'v moved my LBGE in the back of my truck where I ratchet straped it down in every direction but took all the guts out ( fire box,fire ring,grill) in the nest and off I went 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • ArizonaEggHead
    Options
    I own a LBGE and this puppy goes camping everywhere with me!! I have a 40' toyhauler, and with two of us, we roll it right up the ramp, in the nest. I do not remove any of the insides and have never had an issue.

Put one guy on the back, and the guy in the front can use the hinge system to pull it up the ramp. The guy in the back is holding the egg upright. Takes me 45 seconds from back yard to inside the trailer.

Once in the trailer, i put two straps through the bottom of the nest, and tighten them to the floor.

I have traveled from AZ to CA, NV, NM, Mexico, and CO. In all types of terrain from 75 MPH highways to wash boarded roads. Works Perfect every time. At least 6 trips per year for the last 8 years.

Make sure nothing can fall into it, and you should be good!! UHaul rents the Low-Boy trailers for about $20. Grab a friend and a beer and youll be good!!
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I own a LBGE and this puppy goes camping everywhere with me!!
    I need to go camping with you!!!

The folks at the adjoining campsites, though, may not like you so much...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • ArizonaEggHead
    Options
    Typically, we go out where most are not. We like the back woods!!

However, when we do go to campgrounds and other public events, the food and smell bring many new friends. I have six lifelong friends that I have only met due to the smells coming off of my egg!!

• Searat
    Searat Posts: 80
    Options
    +1 on strapping. Moved mine approx 6 miles in back of the back of the truck up a hill. Note, use packing blankets between the truck and the BGE so the egg doesn't bang on the back window.