Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the difference in egg and black dome smoker

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have had one of those black dome smokers years and it has finally died. The egg seems expensive for me to buy it as a gift for us when we really had few problems with the cheaper ones--what makes the egg so much better for the money--I am needing the large size. Thanks to the egg users who will advise me.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    hotwings,
    Do you mean an El Cheapo Brinkman or Weber Smokey Mountain? I'll assume a WSM. WSM's are pretty capable cookers, but the Egg does have advantages of being more versatile, higher temps possible, lower temps possible, longer cooking in very cold weather (in any weather actually). But that said, you wouldn't be making a mistake to get a WSM. So, I guess the choice really is how much you want to spend vs. how much versatility you want.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    hotwings, I guess like NW said its all about money in someways. I like to roast my own coffee beans, and a great setup with a roaster, coffee brewer and a grinder could be as much as $700.00, the same price for a large Egg. But then again who would spend $700 on just "out of this world tasting" coffee? The same person who wants "out of this world" BBQ and Grillin"
    Like me!

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    hotwings,
    I cooked on a WSM for a number of years before getting an Egg. One of the big differences I found is how the Egg does a slow cooked butt verses the WSM. While the cook time and temp will be the same on both, the WSM will need more fuel. Temperature lost through the metal skin being the reason. More fuel burning also means more air will pass by the butt during the cook causing a drier crust. That said, I loved my WSM and still have it, sitting right next to my Eggs with its cover on. I just don't think I'll use it again. -RP

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    hotwings,
    i burnt and rusted out 3 smokers from cabellas over about a 10 year period. couldnt run them in the winter and only used them maybe 3 or 4 times a month. also needed a kettle for certaian cooks. the egg i use about 3-4 times a week minimum and it can handle many different types of cooks in any weather which is needed in new england. lifetime gaurantee, ease of use, and versitility. my last smoker rotted out over the last 3 years sitting outside next to the egg.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    hotwings,
    I have cooked wiith a WSM since 1968. It was a wonderful machine right up until I got the BGE. Ever try to cook a Thanksgiving turkey at 27 degrees with the wind blowing in a WSM? I had to cover it with burlap bags and blankets to try to get the heat up. Not a fun thing to do with 15 people waiting for turkey and it got done 4 hrs late. The advantage of the BGE is that any cookbook will do as you set the temp as the cookbook says and the roast/turkey/etc will be done when the recipe says. I will NEVER use my WSM again!! To point this out, I have a BGE in NC and one in CA. Once you have experienced the BGE, you will never look back.

• hotwings,[p]Regardless of your age, experience, habits, etc.... you just can't mess up with a Big Green Egg. I've burned out four 22" Weber Kettles, 4 Brinkman water smokers, and coutless bags of Kingsford. Not that there's anything wrong with any of them.
    They just don't compare to the Egg and lump charcoal. With the egg there is:
    less waste of charcoal
    less waste of time, they cook more effieiently.
    They are less prone to start a fire in dry conditions because you cook with the lid closed all the time.
    Food is more moist and succulent, juicy and delicious.
    Weber doesn't have a cool forum and cult like following like the Eggheads!
    To sum it up, a Egg will last you a lifetime, perform better, and give you more consistent results time after time compared to the other smokers.[p] The closest thing to an Egg to me is the Cookshack smoker, but its only a smoker, No Grilling![p]So my money spent on Webers is gone down the drain, but the 700 + on the egg will end up in my sons hands long after I'm gone. Heck, he might inherit two!
    Another neat thing about the egg, they make a killer conversation piece. I enjoy talking about them, cooking on them and bragging about the company. There warranty is top notch. They just sent me a new dome for my large because my gasket burned out earlier than I thought it should have. That's taking care of your customers in my book! I didn't pay a cent for it![p]Good luck on your decision... If you can possibly afford one, go for it. You won't be sorry.
    Cheers!

• hotwings,
    My BGE was flooded by Hurricane Ivan in 2004 and it still smokes. And the great thing about it is----it doesn't RUST!
    I've seen many BGE's on the decks of yachts, used in the saltiest of atmospheres and weather--they cook great and last forever.

• tstick
    tstick Posts: 67
    Options
    hotwings,The Egg is the smoker of choice. I have had a Large since 98 and an XL since last December. Today I smoked 6 racks of babybacks and 2 11 lb briskets for my company Christmas party. No problem. Checked on them about 4 times during the day. 250 everytime. They are going to be awesome. The BGE is the way to go. tstick

• hotwings,
    Being new at this and not having as much experience with the BGE as many here I would like to add;
    My wife thought that I was nuts when I asked for a BGE for my birthday $700 + for a smoker/grill your out of your mind, well all it took was for me to bring in the maple smoked Turkey off the BGE and serve it up for thanksgiving and I think that she might go out and buy her own. Best she ever had.
    You cannot compare it to anything you cooked with before.

• tstick,
    Did you do the 2 briskets on the XL or large? I finally did a brisket last weekend for the first time and it would barely fit on my large. Only took nine hours to which kinda surprised me seeing the times the other guys have posted.

• T-47
    T-47 Posts: 84
    Options
    I have both as well. What kind of shape is your grill in? I got my large BGE, with a BBQ Guru and several other accessories out the door for about $1000.00. I think you would be hard pressed to get a quality grill and smoker for the same price. I have had a blast grilling and smoking on it, and would buy one again, knowing what I know now. That being said...if money is the big issue, and you cannot afford the BGE this time around, the WSM is the way to go IMHO. It is an efficient, dependable quality smoker and in the end it’s the cook…not the cooker. My Webber connection says the WSM is going up to $250 each in 2006.