Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Storage

Just tried out Rockwood and it's great.  Very glad I bought 4 bags.  I plan to store in my detached garage, which is un-airconditioned.  I live in Alabama and it can get quite hot in the summers and in an unairconditioned garage I would think it could get up to 110 or 120 in the hottest of the hot summer days.  At that heat level, do I have to worry about combustion of the lump?  I'm probably being paranoid but just want to be safe.  Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    No, though humidity may be a concern.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

Don't worry, it's not going to spontaneously combust.  My house, garage, enclosed trailer, warehouse, etc would have been long gone by now.

Keep it in the bag, not a sealed tub.  If you're really worried about the humidity, bring the bag you're using in the air conditioning a couple days before you plan to cook with it.  It's crazy humid in STL, I just keep the bag I'm using in the garage with top folded over.

• DRKEgg
    DRKEgg Posts: 37
    Thanks very much for help.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482

Don't worry, it's not going to spontaneously combust.  My house, garage, enclosed trailer, warehouse, etc would have been long gone by now.

Keep it in the bag, not a sealed tub.  If you're really worried about the humidity, bring the bag you're using in the air conditioning a couple days before you plan to cook with it.  It's crazy humid in STL, I just keep the bag I'm using in the garage with top folded over.

What is the problem with keeping it in a sealed container? That's how I keep mine on my patio and any extra in their bags in my garage.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

What is the problem with keeping it in a sealed container? That's how I keep mine on my patio and any extra in their bags in my garage.
    Mold......people use them to keep the moisture out, but you're actually keeping it in.  Charcoal does a pretty good absorbing all the moisture, but it can still grow in there.  Unless you're sealing it inside an air condition house after the charcoal has acclimated, you're not keeping the moisture out, it's the same as ambient--so just let it breath. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I don't think it is an issue for the short time I have one bag at a time in the 20 gallon trash can I use to keep it next to my egg. Any extra bags I have are in my attached garage that is not heated or cooled. I can see if it sat there for a long time not being used.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.