Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear Rocks!!!

Options
Did my first reverse sear tonight - filet mignon.  Bought these steaks last September from Costco and food savered and froze them after bringing them home.
Yesterday, while digging around in the freezer, we came across them and said "forget about hot dogs tomorrow, we're doing filet."

Following the directions on the forum, I did a reverse sear - about 250 degrees indirect for 30 minutes - to about 105 degrees, then pulled the streaks, pulled the platesetter, open the vents and seared the meat at 650 degrees for a minute or tow.   The result was spectacular.  Maybe the best steak I've ever cooked.  Medium rare as it should be.

I hope everybody had a great Memorial Day.  

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Great job!! I normally do it that way, but yesterday I just seared them and let them rest. They were great, but you have less control doing it that way.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    My favorite way to make a steak.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Looks Great!!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • EGGingMe
    EGGingMe Posts: 16
    Options
    COSTCO meat is very tender.  I have also had great luck letting the temp get as high as It will.  Rockwood had me around 1,000.  2 min on each side, quarter turn and closed it down for 7 min.  Juicy, tender and tasty.  EVOO and Dalmatian only.
    LBGE 2014..... 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I no longer do a reverse sear. It's really a PITA for the small amount of control that you do achieve. Just buy steaks that are 1.5 to 1.75 inches thick, crank up the fire to 650+, sear both sides to you have fat blackening and good grill marks on each side. Then, shut things down while periodically checking the meat temp. When about 120 IT, remove them from the egg and cover with tin foil. The meat temp will rise about 10 degrees while the rest. done.
    Dave - Austin, TX