Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: I am in the market for two jet skis. Advice needed.

Options
With summer here I am in the market for two Jet Skis. I will be buying new. 

I am not familiar at all with the different brands etc. I need the kind that can seat two. 

Can any of you guys help me out with recommendations? It would be greatly appreciated. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Having grown up on a lake, my recommendation would be to make friends with people who own jet skis and ride theirs.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    Having grown up on a lake, my recommendation would be to make friends with people who own jet skis and ride theirs.
    My brother always told me "The best boat to ride in, is someones elses" and I've loved every boat he's ever owned. Sorry OP I have no legit input on the subject.
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Depends in what you want to spend and how fast you want to go. Best advice is look for some that are a year old, they depreciate so fast in value once they leave the floor. And people that had them last year are tired of them and upgrading to a boat.

But Kawasaki do make a fine jet ski and if you want speed they make some of the fastest around. Family and comfort the Sea-doo is a nice ride.

Hell just buy a sea doo boat and you get the jet ski motors and you can haul more people and beverages.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2014
    Options
    BREWnQ said:
    Hi54putty said:
    My brother always told me "The best boat to ride in, is someones elses" and I've loved every boat he's ever owned. Sorry OP I have no legit input on the subject.

So true, always enjoy fishing with my son and nephews on his boat. hahaha

Borrowed my brother's 4runner to pick up a new toy (3 hour drive one way), until I can find a good tow vehicle.  =))

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Focker said:

BREWnQ said:

Hi54putty said:

My brother always told me "The best boat to ride in, is someones elses" and I've loved every boat he's ever owned.

Sorry OP I have no legit input on the subject.

So true, always enjoy fishing with my son and nephews on his boat. hahaha

Borrowed my brother's 4runner to pick up a new toy (3 hour drive one way), until I can find a good tow vehicle.  =))

Very nice Focker! Just came back from the boundary waters last weekend. Would have loved something like that. Super cool

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Thanks alot V, we are gonna love this thing. Couldn't pass it up.  Even has an oven for bacon! lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    after looking at atv's a few years ago my impression was not to worry about the different brands, all the big players put out a descent product. i believe this would apply to jetskis as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    Go with 3 seater, much more stable and better ride. I've had both 2 & 3 seaters. I would stick with sea doo or Yamaha.
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I used to own a Kawaski standup and Yamaha sitdown. They were a blast. Especially the stand up. Both have been sold since I wasn't using them.

If you are looking at the sitdowns, instead of looking at 2 seaters, you may want to consider a three seater for towing people (wake boards, tubes, etc). Not sure about your state, but some require a spot for the driver, a spotter, and you need an open spot for the person getting towed. Depends on your state. You may want a two seater and a three seater, or two three seaters. Price difference probably wouldn't be major.

I had friends with Kawasakis, SeaDoos, Yamahas, and Hondas. As far as reliability, The guys were disappointed with the Hondas, but that was 6-7 years ago.

I think most engines are 4 stroke now, 10 years ago when had mine, the 4 strokes were just coming out, some parks were not allowing the 2 stroke engines due to emissions. Probably not an issue anymore. 
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Plan on knee surgery after a couple of years. ^#(^

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    If it floats , flys, or f.... you are better off renting
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • legomyeggo
    legomyeggo Posts: 113
    Options
    Not to be a pain but if you have no watercraft experience take a course on safe boating. Personal watercraft education is pretty important.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I don't really have any input, just glad that you said "Advice needed" and not "Advise needed". :-B
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • wmcguire93
    wmcguire93 Posts: 53
    Options
    With summer here I am in the market for two Jet Skis. I will be buying new. 

I am not familiar at all with the different brands etc. I need the kind that can seat two. 

Can any of you guys help me out with recommendations? It would be greatly appreciated. 

First and foremost, do not buy new! 
    If this is your first jet ski, there will be a learning curve, and its best to have something used for the trial and error process.  Not only that, but you can most likely get two decent skis with a tandem trailer for the price of one new ski.
    There is a place in Macon, GA that specializes in used jet skis so I recommend you take a look there first.  Its called Central Georgia Power Sports, and the website is http://www.cgapowersports.com/

Secondly, get a 3 seat ski.  I would not get anything smaller.  The ability to carry 3 people is a must.

Do some research, there is a lot of different factors that will play into the price, such as year, hours logged on the ski, engine type, etc.

As far as brand, any of the top names would be acceptable.  Having said that, sea doo is probably the best ride, but it usually comes at a higher price.

I hope this helps.
    Texas Aggie transplanted in Georgia
    Large BGE, Small BGE, more accessories than I'm willing to tell the Mrs. about.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Buy one two or three seasons old and buy in the winter for the best deal. I have a honda and don't recommend- they are actually exiting the market. I would stick with sea doo...
    Greensboro, NC
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited May 2014
    Options
    If you don't already own a boat, I'd second the recommendation to buy one of the jet boats.  Similar thrill and covers more uses.  If you just have the skis, once you are on the water a lot you'll want to occasionally be on the water and dry...to run to dinner, a dock party, or to be out there in shoulder season when it may be a little too cool to convince your wife/girlfriend/daughter to get on a ski with you.

BUT you may have already thought of that.   So buy used.  Test drive them.  Make sure they start easy for you.  Make sure there is no gas/oil where there isn't supposed to be.  Budget in everything you are going to need and negotiate it into the price.  (life jackets, trailer, fire extinsquisher?, emergency kit, wakeboard?, tow rope, etc.)

Enjoy!  It'll be nice to get on your own ski and not have to worry about owing anyone else a favor every time you use it.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Thank you so much guys. I will probably buy used since it does appear that I can save a lot of money on low hour machines. 

My 15 year old son has decided he wants to become a golfer so I bought a cart and joined a country club this weekend. We played three times this weekend! My 12 year old daughter was with US and she has decided that she also wants to play. 

It was the best weekend I have had in years! 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    A friend of mine has the sea doo wake series and its great. 215 hp super charged and will do 60 plus with 600 pounds on it. It will easily pull up 2 wake boarders that are 200 plus pounds. Like others said though they lose alot of value quickly new and get boring quick. I grew up on the water in south Florida and we just had to hit a button to drop the wave runners in and after several months we always opted for the boat unless friends wanted to take the wave runners. I would say pick up a little 18-20' boat.
  • tcam
    tcam Posts: 1
    Options
    How can I post?
  • HDumptyEsq
    Options
    tcam said:
    How can I post?
    You just did!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

• HDumptyEsq
    Options
    There's palace in Atlanta called National PowerSports Auction. You would probably pay closer to wholesale there. For Jet skis or golf carts!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Thanks Dumpty! 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    The new Sea Doo spark is getting amazing reviews and cost roughly half the next level up.  Simple, not lighting fast. Think of it like a dirt bike instead of a Hayabusa.  It's what I plan to buy this summer. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    Options
    Thinking about selling my 2007 sea doo challenger 180 with 12 hours on it. I am in Raleigh nc.