Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for Whole Chicken Recipes

Options
Being that whole chickens take a lot less time than their pork or beef counterparts I'd really like to nail down a solid smoked whole chicken recipe. What are some methods, rubs, marinades, brines that you all have used and enjoyed?

Comments

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Suggest spatchcock 400 degrees raised direct about 1 hour. Rub with EVOO and DP Tsunami Spin. Enjoy!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    What gpsegg said is very good advice but I let it cook about 1 hour and 30 mins. Mickey`s coffee rub is awesome on chicken. 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Go spatchcock indirect with Toni chatcheries, kosher salt, and course black pepper. 350 until 160 IT deep in the breast. About 1.25 hours for a 5 lb bird.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I also agree with George. With a small bird I may go as hot as 400, but with anything over 4 pounds I usually go closer to 350. Controlled fire, not too much charcoal. I cook skin up until rub is set and dry, (45 minutes to an hour) then flip over to finish. Done birds a lotta ways, and this one is hard to beat. Have fun!

Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Ooops. LOL I think that's a turkey, but same principle exactly!
    Happy cookin.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
     I admit that i use Old Bay Seasoning:  makes an outstanding Chicken rub and is my "go to" rub/spice for the feathered ones...  I often spatchcock direct high in the dome with a @400F dome temp.  Sometimes I do a "whole roaster" indirect about 350F dome temp
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    I love spatchcock too and do it a couple times a month. Just to ring the changes I use one of those tubes on a base (instead of a beer can), fill it with hard cider and sage leaves, rub the chicken with evoo and Oakridge pork and poultry rub. Stand it in a half hotel pan and put hard veggies, like spuds, carrots, celery, onions and parsnips and cook those in the chicken fat and juices. Add soft veggies - squash, broccoli and so on twenty minutes before the end.
    Indirect, 350. PS legs up, feet and pan. About an hour and a half. 
    Great one-pot meal.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• JC_EggRookie
    Options
    Spatchcock Rocks! I have 3 beer can chicken frames in my garage gathering dust. Did my first Spatchcock turkey a couple months back with great results as well. 
    Still a Rookie after 3 years and always will be learnin'. Love my LBGE!