Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Country Ribs

Ray
Ray Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need help on how to prepare country ribs on the BGE.
What rub and cooking temp. do I use? Also, how long do they need to
be on the egg. Thanks for any help you can give.
Ray

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Ray,
    Slather with mustard. Cover with JJs rub. Cook indirect at 275 for 3 hours or so...depending on thickness. Finish direct for the last 30 minutes while brushing your favorite sauce on. Remove when sugar in sauce is caramelized nicely. If you want something unique and have the time, check out my Vietnature Country Rib recipe...I believe still under new recipes.[p]I assume you have the nice fatty country ribs, and not the lean loin kind.[p]Have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Ray
    Ray Posts: 59
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the help! I can always count on you guys!
    Ray

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Ray,
    Longer the better - at low temps - the country rib is really from the shoulder and tends to be tough. You should be around 190+ deg in the meat when they are done. The mustard rub is good too!! Try it.
    If you have the time - try 4 hr at 225-250.[p]Tim

• Nature Boy
    Ray,
    Enjoy...and don't trim the fat until after you cook!
    Haven't done those in a while....I think it is time.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    S12_07_9918_10_03.jpg
    <p />Ray, if you are making them today, then this post is a little late, but both NB and Tim gave you great advice - all I can contribute is a picture or two of how great they might turn out. Have a great day![p]
    [ul][li]Country Ribs[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Gfw,
    Man...I am glad there are organized folks like you!! I had forgotten that I cooked them at 325 cuz it has been several months. I really like the crust that gets formed when I cook them that way. Makes some nice nooks and crannies for the sauce.[p]Yum. Thanks for saving that info.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gfw
    Nature Boy, I save all the really important stuff and a lot of that stuff is advice and posts from the members of this forum. Those were great country ribs!

• Nature Boy
    Vietnature.jpg
    <p />Gfw,
    Those things are great. It is like several very small butts! The extra surface are gives you lots of good crust, and the meat is tender and juicy....though not really pullable. I am very hungry now.....[p]If this picture works, they are the Vietnature Coutry Ribs I did a ways back. [p]Pork. good.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Vietnature.jpg
    <p />Gfw,
    Man, I wish there were a Preview so you could view your messages before posting!!
    Maybe HERE are the Vietnature country ribs???
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Tim M,
    If i cook anything for 4 hours its going to be chared![p]any hints on how you maintain low temps < 225 and what do you do to keep the food from charing to a chrisp? are you using a drip pan or foil sheild under the meat? I saw the pictures with what looked like foil under the ribs in this post.[p]right now I have a 7 lbs boston butt I plan to cook tomorrow and would like to slow cook for as long as I can, any suggestions? I have the large BGE with daisy top so I should have as good of control as possible.[p]Thanks in advance for any help you or anyone else may give.[p]Mike
    War Eagle

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Mike Williams,[p]You will do them at 275-375 "INDIRECT" that means with a drip pan or firebricks between the meat and the fire. This stops the infared radiation for hitting the meat and allows higher temps without charing. Direct - yes, they would burn at 275. [p]The Butt will take about 19 hrs to cook upto 200 deg internal. Thats over a drip pan (indirect again) at 225-250. [p]Tim
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Mike Williams,[p]Welcome to the forum. Cooking longer involves cooking at much lower temperatures, thus charring is avoided. A boston butt is an excellent choice for a long, low temp cook. The meat has a lot of fat that is slowly dissolved into flavor, and the meat tends to be very tough. The meat is a muscle that the pig tends to use quite often, thus it is a mix of solid muscle (good meat) mixed with a lots of fibers that make it a chewy eat.[p]Cooking low and slow (200-250F) until the internal meat temp reaches 175-200F renders the connective tissue in the meat to flavorful juices. Well worth the effort and a different taste and texture. This result can easily be obtained if cooked only in a rack suspended above an empty drip pan. Low temps don't dry out (char) a meat that has enough moisture. The lower the temp, the longer the cook and (generally) the better the result.[p]The key is in controlling your Eggs temperature. Start it as usual and close the daisey and the bottom vent down to 1/8" opening when the dome approaches 200F. You may have to adjust the openings even more closed. It takes little airflow (vent control openings) to make heat once your Egg is heated.[p]Spin[p]
  • Gfw
    PP_040900_120001.jpg
    <p />Mike Williams, if you check out the link, you'll see my 4/08/2000 cook of a boston butt. As always, it is done indirect and takes about 18-20 hours, more than some want to spend, but trust me, the results far outweigh the time - besides, I'm not in a hurry. Check out other links on my site and I've used the same method with an English cut chuck roast for BBQ beef. Good luck!

[ul][li]Boston Butt[/ul]