Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison

Options
Rich
Rich Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
To anybody out there who can help me. I have a new egg that my son from Colorado bought me and my wife this past spring. We live in Mid-Michigan. We use the egg, would like to more, but we are not home as much now that we have retired. I have cooked fish, steaks, chops, and chicken, we love all the food that I have cooked so far. My friend who still deer hunts brought me over a 3 lb. roast (Venison).[p] I was wondering if anybody had a simple but a very good receipe for this roast on the Egg. I most definately want to try this roast on the Egg, but would like someone's experience that they would not mind sharing with me.[p] thank you much[p] Rich

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Rich,
    I use this marinade for venison. My hunter father-in-law thinks it's perfect! JCA (W Michigan)

[ul][li]marinade[/ul]
  • Rich,
    take a bottle of kraft Italian dressing top it off with treiyaki sauce. slice some fresh garlic and insert pieces in the roast pepper and garlic salt the roast to taste Merinate over night.
    I use a mixture of apple cherry and maple wood in the smoker. dont over cook pink in the center is where i like it.

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Walt,[p]Fellow Mid Michigander here...[p](1)The issue with venison is there is no fat. I would make sure to trim off all the membrane (silver skin) it tastes bad and the texture is worse. Marinade it with your favorite stuff, at a minimum of overnight. Italian dressing would be good. I would even consider injecting some to get fat/oil inside. Season the out side with a rub of some sort. Dizzy Pig "Cow Lick" is a good choice, Montreal Steak seasoning is good too.[p]I would layer strips of bacon over top of the roast. SLow roast it indirect Be sure not to over cook the roast. The slightest amount of over cooking will make it quickly into leather.[p](2) My second idea is to cut the roast into 3/4 inch thick "Sizzle Steaks", if that is an option for your type of roast. Marinade them really well, similiarly to the roast above and rub them. Get your Egg nice and toasty, say 600 degrees or so. Do a quick sear on both sides and I think they will be cooked to medium rare.[p]
    Eggecutioner

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    venisonribroast2.jpg
    <p />Rich:[p]Here is a past thread you may be interested in . . .

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2002/messages/99441.htm[/ul]
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Rich,[p]I live in Lansing. There are far better cooks than I giving you advise. I have owned three eggs for over 10 years. Although I am not the best I have cooked a wide sellection of "STUFF" on my eggs. With that said if you need any help at amy time please feel free to email me.