Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak!

Options
For those of you who say Royal Oak blows... Yesterday I did a pork butt that took a total of 14 hours. I filled the egg to the top of the fire ring and still have this much lump left. That's pretty dang impressive. image
NW IOWA

Comments

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I love royal oak. Its the only good kind I can get local. Only downside for me is that the bag after has a ton of small pieces.

Just bought 10 bags of Ozark Oak online for free shipping. I do have to say I like it much better.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Bearlodge
    Bearlodge Posts: 45
    Options

I love royal oak. Its the only good kind I can get local. Only downside for me is that the bag after has a ton of small pieces. Just bought 10 bags of Ozark Oak online for free shipping. I do have to say I like it much better.
    Yup, thats the problem, lots of chips and dust, which I blame on the idiots that stack it under pounds of weight and toss the bags around while they are doing that.
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    I love my Royal Oak it has never let me down.
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    The only lump I have tried that I didn't like was Cowboy Lump and the GreenWise(public)
    Love royal oak, love rock wood, like BGE (just not the price)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Egglovin
    Egglovin Posts: 26
    Options
    I've had very good results with Royal Oak,but the last 2 bags have came with more rocks than usual
    Grilling in Ga
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Charcoal_Addict Posts: 227
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Most of the small pieces are from the factory though. I'd love to blame handling at the stores but that's only a small factor. RO mass produces a lot of lump as fast as it can be produced. They don't take the time to filter the bags as well as they should. Personally small pieces should be filtered out and used for water filters. RO is hardly the only lump company with filtering issues. Keborak, Dragon's Breath, Maple Leaf, and Basques have bags with similar issues. Those are pricier lumps that honestly should have better bag filtering.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    Options
    I love royal oak. Its the only good kind I can get local. Only downside for me is that the bag after has a ton of small pieces. Just bought 10 bags of Ozark Oak online for free shipping. I do have to say I like it much better.
    Where did you buy the OO with free shipping?  I get it from shoppers friend and they charge 6.99 fixed shipping.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Here's a great Q supply site: http://www.firecraft.com/category/charcoal-wood Likely the free shipping mentioned above.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Thanks for the link and info, but they wanted 13.99 for shipping, shoppers paradise is 6.99 fixed.

Simi Valley, California
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I've been delivering it for years. I buy in bulk and pass the savings on to you. I'll even send you a 45 page instruction manual and a DVD showing how to use it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    LOL.  The DVD and Manual sold me! I would be interested in a bulk buy, but I don't think you would want to deliver to So California.  But if you decide to, then include me in the next bulk buy....

Simi Valley, California
  • Tony_Wornick
    Options
    Thanks for the link and info, but they wanted 13.99 for shipping, shoppers paradise is 6.99 fixed.

I think shipping is free if you buy $100.
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I know everyone's results may vary, but I really don't like RO, Admittedly, it's based on the results of just one bag, but my oh my! LOTS of rocks, and the smoke! Oh my, the smoke! The cooks I did left me thinking I'd hung out by a campfire! I'll stick with others, thanks.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • henapple
    Options
    A while back Centex bought a new egg and got a free bag of bge, which is ro. He cooked once with it and gave it away. He's been using RW and OO till then. It's up to everyone to decide but I'm not sure I've heard anyone trying Rockwood or Ozark and wanting to go back to ro.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    IMO, RO & OO are great quality lumps. How can you go wrong with either? I'm burning OO right now I got from Henapple. The stuff is great!
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    Options
    That's me. I'm an awesome guy. Been doing that **** for years. Woohoo.. look at me.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited May 2014
    Options
    @henapple with all that Top notch service,instructions manual on how to light and a DVD!! I think that puts you at HERO level around here =))

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • henapple
    Options
    Naw..just a great guy who knows everything.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    henapple said:
    Naw..just a great guy who knows everything.

About everything??

analyze adapt overcome

• henapple
    Options
    Yes...just like..?
  • JC_EggRookie
    Options
    I usually mix the BGE with Lazzari which I can pick up locally for $8-$10/bag.Problem with Lazzari is just the opposite, there are chunks in the bag the size of a horses leg.
    Still a Rookie after 3 years and always will be learnin'. Love my LBGE!
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Yes...just like..?
    Yep Yep....

analyze adapt overcome

• Egglovin
    Egglovin Posts: 26
    Options
    This is one from yesterdays bag of Royal Oak, its almost the size of a fist:

Grilling in Ga
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    @JC EggRookie Does the Lazzari have an overwhelming mesquite flavor?
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Maybe I got a bad batch when I stocked up, but my RO smokes like there's no tomorrow.  Just bought a few bags of Rockwood and the difference is unbelievable.  Ready to go in 15 min instead of an hour.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    edited May 2014
    Options
    RO in the red bag is all I use. I measure the time it takes to get to temp in beers and with RO, I can be at 350-400 in about one beer. No problems here, and at $8.99 for 17.6 lbs, you cannot beat it, IMO. I got 18 bags sitting in the garage right now.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • henapple
    Options
    I can't open the damn egg in one beer...
  • henapple
    Options
    I will ask you @CAT Seller‌ ...have you tried Rockwood?
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Options
    @henapple I have not tried Rockwood. I have not seen it in my area - St. Aug/Jacksonville Fla. I am not opposed to giving it a try though.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • henapple
    Options
    I promise you...you will not regret it.