Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you inject your butts?

Options
If so, what type of inject do you use? Thanks!

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    nope

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    No, I usually brine mine.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'm by no means an expert. But, why would you inject one??? For what purpose? I can't see moisture being a factor so would this be for flavor. My 1st and only butt had thick crust and wicked good flavor and that was with rub only (didn't even use mustard as a base). Again not an expert so just curious as to the purpose or benefit.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Brine butts? Really? Don't they taste "hammy"?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    YES, every pork butt I cook I inject with Chris Lilly`s mixture for at least 24 hrs. Then I rub with Chris`s rub and low and slow till 196-202 then pull.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    No need to do anything but a dry rub and smoke. Anything else is just extra work that keeps you from doing pulled pork more often.
    Dunedin, FL
  • TennesseeDave
    Options
    I'll be the odd man out. I used a honey garlic injectable last time and a home made rub. It was insanely good. I'm not sure how much the injection had to do with it. I'm sure you can get great results either way.
  • HDumptyEsq
    Options
    No, it's more a question of drawing other flavors into the pork along with the salt. This is NOT pink salt which would give that hammy color and taste. Once the salt has equalized in the meat it starts to come back out (reverse osmosis??. But having pulled the flavors like garlic, sage, brown sugar and black pepper into the pork, they stay in there. It just adds a complexity to the final butt. I brine an 8 ld butt for 4 days, dry for a day then cook.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

• Carolina Q
    Options
    No, it's more a question of drawing other flavors into the pork along with the salt. This is NOT pink salt which would give that hammy color and taste. Once the salt has equalized in the meat it starts to come back out (reverse osmosis??. But having pulled the flavors like garlic, sage, brown sugar and black pepper into the pork, they stay in there. It just adds a complexity to the final butt. I brine an 8 ld butt for 4 days, dry for a day then cook.
    Interesting. Not sure I've read of anyone doing that before. Surely I have, but I don't recall it. Anyway, I have to watch my sodium, so brining anything is out (but I never did it anyway), ham is DEFINITELY out and butts are just a rare treat nowadays.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HDumptyEsq
    Options
    I know there will be some salt retention but most of it finds its way out again. The finished product is not at all salty. I'm sure Senaca The Younger has a word or fifty on the science of it ;)

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• Gravytrain84
    Gravytrain84 Posts: 322
    Options
    I see the guys on BBQ pitmasters often injecting theirs with Apple vinegar and not sure what else.. I didn't know if this was common practice.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    My doctor has recommended lowering my sodium so I reserve brining for poultry. Injecting butts is something I've never felt was needed even before egging. IMO, the meat is moist and flavorful with rub alone.
    Flint, Michigan
  • randerson1126
    Options
    I've never injected or brined a butt. Based on results I've never seen the need. Dry rub and a little vinegar-based sauce while pulling is all I've ever needed.
  • Auburntgr
    Auburntgr Posts: 78
    Options
    I use a simple injection with my butts. 3/4 Cup Apple Juice 1/2 Cup Water 1/2 Cup Sugar 1/4 Salt While I have not decided if it helps or not, I know it doesn't hurt it. Part of the fun for me is the whole process of preparing and egging. I guess it is just a matter of preference.
    Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg
  • HDumptyEsq
    Options
    My doctor has recommended lowering my sodium so I reserve brining for poultry. Injecting butts is something I've never felt was needed even before egging. IMO, the meat is moist and flavorful with rub alone.
    I only brine if I have the time and forsight. My last 8 #er was rub only. Just as enjoyable with the saucing and so on, just prefer the more complex flavors with brine.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I do it for flavor. I've tried different ones and have noticed a difference. I like it better when I mix a juice and a good rub together, then just juice. I did two back to back days with different juices and rub in one and not the other. The one with the rub was more flavorful.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    If I plan to pull the pork butt, I will just use a finishing sauce.  Can't see how it would really help if I injected the same sauce 10 hours earlier.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I do it when I feel like it but not every time. Usually a combination of rub, apple juice from concentrate and apple cider vinegar.