Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long can I FTC ribs?

Options
I need to FTC some spares today for about 4 hours. I've gone that long with pork butts with no issues, but haven't FTCed spares for more than 1.5 hours. Any concerns? Thanks!
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!

Comments

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    How many racks? If not sauced you could stack them all and then double wrap that. It will then act like 1 big piece of meat. The lower the surface area to volume ratio ( low surface area/high volume butt compared to high surface area/lower volume ribs) the slower if will cool. I just had a butt wrapped for 4 hrs yesterday, FTC, never opened cooler and it was steaming when I opened. Bone pulled right out, but still too hot to touch.

You can preheat your cooler with hot water to buy some extra time too.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Options
    2 racks. Thx
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

The short answer is that when they get below 140F the clock starts ticking. 

The answer you want is that I have done up to 6 hours with 3 racks wrapped together with no problem.  I did use a hot moist towel in the cooler to help get the cooler warm.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Options
    Thanks guys. Preheating the cooler with warm water and using the hot towel are great tips.