Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WTB cast iron plate setter

Wanting to buy a CI plate setter and give it a try.  Found it on Amazon but looks a touch too pricey at the moment.

Looking for additional recommendations on where to buy one?   Any experience would be appreciated.
Thx
Alan in LA (Lower Alabama that is)
"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!" 

Comments

• headrusch
    headrusch Posts: 13
    I dont understand the purpose of a cast iron platesetter, other than aesthetics.  The purpose of the plate setter is to deflect the heat up and around to the dome.  I just don't see how a cast iron plate setter would accomplish this better. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    As far as I can tell, the advantage to the CI platesetter is it is more durable than the ceramic version.  Other than that, I think the use is the same.
    Flint, Michigan
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    The vendor selling it through amazon (Tasty Licks a.k.a Fred's Music & BBQ) sells it for $30 less on their website: http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/DELUXE_CAST_IRON_PLATESETTER_AND_GRIDDLE_FOR_18_D_p/tlpcipsl.htm $99 is the normal retail
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Fred is selling the ones on Amazon (as TastyLicks) for $130. He's selling the same thing without Amazon (as brick and mortar Fredsmusicandbbbq) for $100. Prolly making a killing from the folks who think Amazon is cheaper for everything.

The CI one is also a griddle. Ceramic is not.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• We picked this one up @ the "Sunshine Eggfest" in Florida.

We have used it for Ribeye Steaks and Salmon.

Excellent every time.

We have not used it w/ "legs up" yet.

http://www.innovationsbychance.com/cast-iron-plate-setters.html

XL - LG - 2 Mini Max
    Miami Fl.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Would be a good tool to sear steaks and such. I often put a CI skillet on my platesetter to do that, so this would save a step.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Alphonse
    Alphonse Posts: 80
    Thanks for the feedback folks.  More evidence that Amazon is not always the answer, particularly if it is not "Prime" eligible.  

BTW, I really like the notion of having the ribs on the "legs up" side for keeping a catch pan elevated off the surface a touch.  
    Alan in LA (Lower Alabama that is)
    "If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!" 
  • nysportsfan
    nysportsfan Posts: 241

We picked this one up @ the "Sunshine Eggfest" in Florida.

Excellent every time.

I don't see a link to buy - or am I missing it? 
  • We picked this one up @ the "Sunshine Eggfest" in Florida.

Excellent every time.

How for you like the cast iron PS so far?  I'm looking at it but my main concern is storage when not being used?  I'm concerned about the CI rusting out.  

How are you storing it when not in use?

Thanks!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    I picked up the CI PS from a local dealer and have used it only once so far .... to cook a smash burger on the griddle side. I did it legs down. I store it in a plastic container I purchased at Home Depot. I also slighly coat it with vegetable oil before I put it away.

So far I do not see any rust, so hopefully a little coat of oil will maintain it rust free.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • That's good!  You are in Orlando area..... you are in a high humidity area like me in Atlanta.  That was my main concern.  Is it just a regular storage box like a rubbermaid box?  Pic please!!!

this makes me feel a lot better about wanting the CI PS!

thanks!

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    edited August 2014
    @DaveRichardson .... This sits in my covered patio ...

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • That suits my needs perfectly!  I know I'll use it a lot since everyone around is asking for either pulled pork, brisket, or smoked turkey.....

I'm not in a covered porch as of yet, but I think that in its box and shut up in a weather-tight enclosure would be perfect.  If all else fails, it can come into the garage and sweat with my lump stash!!!!

thanks for the info and help!