Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Pork Butt!!

Options
tksmoke
tksmoke Posts: 776
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum

I had to come up with something for the fam, and since we did ribs last week, thought pulled pork would be just the ticket.  I got a 7lb bone-in butt from the local butcher shop, and started the adventure just after noon yesterday.  Cleaned out and then loaded  the XL up with Fogo, and used peach and cherry chunks.  Set-up was Woo2 with CGS 17" round stone on lower ring, Foiled 18" SS drip pan resting on 3 balled up pieces of AF.  AR with oval grid a couple inches above felt line.  Went with mustard and Bad Byrons Butt Rub applied liberally all of 15 minutes prior to cooking.  Set the CyberQ to 350, and when stabilized threw the butt on.  Fat cap up, for no reason in particular.  I normally wouldn't use the controller for a 350 cook, but wanted to try Pit Pal.  Also, since my conversion to Turbo, it was getting dusty in the back of the drawer. 

I figured it would be about 5 hours, and it was actually within 10 minutes of that.  Took it off at 205, foiled and rested for @45 minutes.  Then pulled, toasted the buns and munched.  It was excellent!!  So easy and very tasty.  As typical, didn't get photo prior to eating - it just gets too crazy then.  So the pulled picture is what was left over.  Anyhow it was very good, and I'm looking forward to pulled pork taco's for lunch, after looking at @CPARKTX's post this morning.

Pit Pal report:  It worked well, a bit of a learning curve.  I started messing with it after the Butt was on, and found I should have started it along with the cook - no way to edit lighting time, start times, finish time, etc.  In fact, I just now "Ended" the cook.  So it looks like it took a very long time indeed.  But it worked well, and I was able to control the CyberQ thru the Pit Pal interface.  I like the idea of having a record of my cooks.  I'm too disorganized to actually keep a cook log, and Pit Pal can help.  It also stores the photos with the log - although it appears they have to be taken thru the PP interface - they can't be added.  Pit Pal has a lot of potential - hoping it will continue to evolve.  

imageimageimage
Santa Paula, CA

Comments