Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

140 degrees too fast! (smoke ring)

Options
All, in the ever present quest to get my smoke ring mojo back, I have been trying to keep the meat cool as long as possible to try to stay under 140 degrees.  I just cant seem to figure it out.  I can put this thing in the fridge where internal temp is about 50 degrees when it goes on the egg, and at 225 grill temp the brisket is up to an internal temp of 140 in about an hour and a half.  Seems like not enough time below 140 to get a good ring but not sure what to try next here.  This is full packer by the way.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I never even notice whether I have one or not. Then again, I don't do brisket.

How can a chunk of beef the size of a packer go from fridge to the egg grid and already be 50°? Your fridge is 50°?!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• hugewineo
    hugewineo Posts: 49
    Options

hmm, that's what the probe says when I put it in.  There is probably 20 min actually between grill and fridge as I pull it out of the fridge and inject it before I throw it on...

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I care about taste, not the ring.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Refrigerate your injection. Put meat back in fridge for a bit after injection  (or better yet, freezer). Check fridge temp. Should be 40° max.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Have you checked your probe for accuracy? 50 degrees after 20 mins out of a fridge sounds a little high.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If your injection is room temp that would explain 50*
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • hugewineo
    hugewineo Posts: 49
    Options
    ok, so is the consensus I am getting to 140 that quickly because of meat temp?  How long do you guys usually take to get to 140?
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I have no idea how long to 140. All I care about is 195-200. For butts. I don't even pay attention to how long to there! Don't care about either so I don't pay attention.

It is my understanding that above 140, the smoke ring no longer forms. If that is true, then the colder it is when you start, the longer it will be below 140. If you're this worried about it, inject it and then FREEZE the sucker! Then put it on the egg frozen. It'll cook, but will just take a bit longer

Michael 
    Central Connecticut