Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Metal wood chip smoker box

Options
Just picked a new metal chip smoker box from Lowe's and wondering if anyone has any experience with them.  It seems to me they would work great for long slow cooks for butts etc.  You could set them on the platesetter or directly on the coals and they would provide smoke for a long time - feed back welcome - let remember what this week end is all about - thank a vet

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Never heard of anyone using those on an egg. Gasser, yes, but not the agg. Just mix a few wood chunks in with the lump.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    +1 @Carolina Q says, but I have heard of eggers who will use those to contain the "pelletized" saw dust for smoking since those will scatter and fall to the bottom of your egg out of the fire's way.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I had one for the gasser. It worked good. Just don't see the need for when usin egg
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I'll occasionally use a tuna can If I don't have chunks to prevent my chips from burning too quickly. I prefer chunks and have a few bags of chips laying around so I figured I'd get the most out them.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I made a smoker tube a number of years ago using stainless plumbing parts.  Only used it a couple times, not very efficient.   Best for smoke is chunks in/on the lump.  t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    edited May 2014
    Options
    tjv said:
    I made a smoker tube a number of years ago using stainless plumbing parts.  Only used it a couple times, not very efficient.   Best for smoke is chunks in/on the lump.  t

LOL - now THAT is a pipe bomb! Here is a smoker puck I made years ago by cutting the bottoms off two beer cans and then making a slit in one so it would nestle inside the other. I used it with a bag of those pelletized wood dust things, but once done with that bag never used it again, but it did work!image
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Ya, never called it a pip bom on the forum.....gotta thing about guys in full assault gear bursting thru my door unannounced.......lol

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    For low and slows the fire is quite small and will, over the course of the cook, move around the lump. I think your smoker box will insulate the smoke wood from the fire, resiling in no smoke. Works great for indirects on a gasser. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    tjv said:

I recommend you don't travel with that smoker tube. 
    @-)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • HarleyDoug
    HarleyDoug Posts: 69
    Options
    thanks everyone I appreciate the feedback
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    My metal smoker box is used now to house the trinkets I find in my lump ash...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    I've used one made out of an old can before and it works good, especially with chips to keep them from burning up too fast like the other person said. Another good reason would be containing the smoking wood so that you don't have a bunch unburned mesquite chips in your leftover lump when you want to grill some fish. Add a little water to your chip can and you can delay the smoke for a couple minutes which is sometimes helpful.
    Gittin' there...
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    Don't know what yours looks like but some people use smoker boxes with pellets to cold smoke things like cheese or nuts

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • williamadamsesq
    Options
    I tried it last year and it over smoked the cook. I had filled it with wet wood chips and it was noticeably waaaay too smoky.