Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt

Options
Scotbradly725
Scotbradly725 Posts: 59
So I have a 15lb pork butt I am going to cook on my MBGE on Tuesday. This will be my first butt, and I'm wondering if it would cook better if I cut it in half and how long I should plan on for cooking? I'm thinking I wanna go indirect using the turbo method. Any ideas or suggestions would be wonderful! Thanks!

Comments

• JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Options
    I would cut it in half but that's just me, I prefer more bark.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    When you remove the packaging, you will likely find that you have two butts, not one. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    carolina q is likely correct…..but if for some reason that is indeed one piece of meat, i would for sure cut it in half.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    I'm not a turbo expert, but isn't the general rule of thumb about 1 hour per pound or somewhere in that vicinity?
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If it is one you should cut in half because that is entirely to big for a turbo cook. You will scorch the outside before the inside is done. For turbo butts try to stay in the 7-8lb area.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Scotbradly725
    Options
    I have bought these before and made spare ribs out of them (pre-BGE ownership) and they are typically one large shoulder, at least the ones that I buy. Sounds like cutting in half and cooking together is the way to go tho. That's what I'm gonna try.
  • Scotbradly725
    Options
    Carolina Q was right. It's 2 butts. Just out them both on at 8am. Hope 9 hours at 350 is enough time to get them done. Fingers crossed.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If they around 7-8lbs you should only need about 5-5 1/2hrs at 350.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Scotbradly725
    Options
    Even if there is 2 in there?
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    yes

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Scotbradly725
    Options
    First one (the one at the back of the egg) hit 205 at almost eggsactly 5.5 hours. The one in the front was only 180IT so I pulled the first one and it's now wrapped in foil and a towel and resting in the cooler while the other one works it's way up to target. I also moved it closer to the rear of the egg.
  • Scotbradly725
    Options
    Second butt done at 7hrs. Now both in the cooler for a few hours until eating time. Hopefully they will be good!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Surprised one took that long, but butts can be unpredictable!

Of course they will be good! :) 

Wait. "Hopefully they will be good"???!! You didn't rip off a chunk or two to taste? The shame!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Scotbradly725
    Options
    Oh my they were absolutely AMAZING!!! A bunch of happy eaters at work too!