Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st time grilling turbo ribs!

Options
grill4us
grill4us Posts: 100
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
I made St. Louis style ribs using a homemade Kansas City rub and a homemade Kansas City Sauce. These ribs were easily the best I've ever tasted! I made some baby back ribs that were professionally precooked - just in case mine were no good - well - the ones that I made were just as good, if not better! I just love to cook on this egg!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Real nice ribs.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    It's hard to beat the turbo ribs. I'm a fan.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @grill4us‌
    Those ribs are absolutely perfect looking. Outstanding job sir.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I'm doing a low and slow rib cook for a party tomorrow...but next time, I'll try me some turbo.  Just to compare.

Thanks for the pics!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Details of the cook? I'm doing turbo for the first time tomorrow. I've always done low and slow. Those look great, Ken
    Dearborn MI
  • grill4us
    Options
    I followed SJ21XDC for the directions.  But I used the AR rig.  Wrapped the stone in foil and went Indirect - temp at stabilized 350.  Applied rub all over ribs.  Put the ribs on the egg bones down for one hour.  Then flipped it - so meat down for 45 minutes.  Then flipped it again and only lightly used some rib sauce and I pulled them off after about 20 minutes - their temp was about 175.  Here's the rib rub - (I got this online): 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup paprika, 1 tbsp black paper, 1 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp chili powder, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp onion powder, 1 tsp cayenne. Combine everything and keep it in an air tight container. (This makes a lot, but it keeps well)  The rib sauce (again I got this online):  I cup ketchup, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 3 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp paprika, 1 tbsp chili powder, 2 cloves garlic, minced, 1 tsp cayenne, 1 tbsp molasses, 1 dollup grape jelly. Heat oil in a saucepan and add the garlic.  Saute it until it turns brown.  Then add all the other ingredients and reduce the heat.  Simmer it for 15 minutes until thickened.  This will keep in your frig for awhile.  I've used this rub and sauce on chicken too - it's good.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Another way for a Turbo Ribs: Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip) 350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• grill4us
    Options
    Yes - definitely pull membrane - I forgot to add that - do you think that would work on St. Louis style too instead of Baby Back? I like the idea of no flipping.