Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Are you a BBQ snob?

2»

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    At least we know he likes Budweiser.
    NOLA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've got 235 1/2 cooks...I passed out on one. =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    edited May 2014
    I remember the first time I sat down to what I thought would be a great meal at a restaurant only to find out that I could and have made that dish equally, if not better!  And that was just my cooking!  Now that I've found this egg, there is no going back.  I researched it for about a year.  I talked about it to my friends.  When I finally got one, I had them over for BBQ.  The result - everyone enjoyed the food and someone asked me what charcoal I was using - they what to try it in their charcoal grill!  I thought - good luck with that - it won't taste the same - but that is for them to decide.  I guess maybe I could be viewed as a "snob", but my family knows.  Why should we pay top dollar for what I can prepare in the comfort of our home?  Egging is fun and delicious.  Yes, I'm new at it, but so far it has been quite a ride!  
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    I do not know how to post pictures, but I am trying to learn. 
  • TexanEgger
    TexanEgger Posts: 37
    The term 'snob' is a little relative I think.  We here in this forum have our own biases (with good reason, IMHO), but I think anyone who seriously gets into cooking for themselves realizes the overall mediocrity of things like mid/high-volume restaurant food and knows they can do it better themselves.  I don't know that I'd call that snobbery so much as understanding and ability gained through experience.  
    WRT the BGE in particular, when I either get asked about it or talk with people about it, my response is this:  "If you're a casual griller who only does burgers and the like, then you should not invest in The Egg.  It's not for that and way to expensive for that type of cooking.  However, if you love to grill all kinds of things, know enough about the importance of tempurature control, and are frustrated by the results you've been getting thus far, then you should truly consider an Egg."  

Years ago I started out on a hibachi, moved to a Weber Kettle (and still have one for backup/extra room), and then went to a TX offset barrel smoker that i pimped out and customized to get better control.  I went along with that until my wife presented me with a LBGE as a Birthday Gift and I have never looked back.  I've never had anything that allowed me to get as broad and granular control as my Egg.  

Ask any chef/cook If you're truly serious about quality results, then you need quality tools, and that quality doesn't come cheap.  Ask anyone who owns a Viking oven!  Many of those who may call you a 'snob' may in fact be simply jealous and want one for themselves.  I know I would like a Viking!

Some Grills Are More Equal Than Others!
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I don't like cooking on anything but a egg when I'm coming outside. The part that makes me a BBQ snob is when I think most restaurant brisket suck.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    henapple said:

I've got 235 1/2 cooks...I passed out on one. =))

Glad I'm not the only one that's ever done that ;-). Something tells me that is more common than one might imagine. Hmmm :-? I'm smelling a thread title all on its own here. Ahh hell it has probably already been done :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SpartanPride
    SpartanPride Posts: 161
    WeberWho? said:

The food usually ends up doing the talking. Which is a good thing most of the time. I usually don't ever say anything negative or give someone grief especially when they are nice enough to feed me. I do catch some crap though for owning an egg. I won't say a word and I'll get, "sorry...It's not fancy like the egg" or "Oh I suppose you do this on the egg." (Which will be something stupid like instant potatoes)

I'm the same. Especially when at someone else's house, but it's come up ("probably not as good as your fancy egg"). I usually joke it off, but I find it funny that owning an egg (and in my case only one large) automatically makes you a BBQ snob in the eyes of some others. Certainly not the majority (most seem to just enjoy the food) but I've definitely seen it!!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    When I was a kid, there wasn't any true BBQ where I lived. A "BBQ sandwich" was some ground beef sauteed w. a little onion and carrot, and drowned in Hunt's sauce.

When I finally had some ribs when I was about 20, it completely changed my mind about what BBQ could be. So I remain irritated after all these years when people grill hot dogs and say they are having a BBQ.

The Egg makes lots of food very well, and it raises one's expectations. As many Eggers have learned, lots of commercial pits are pretty crummy. But people I know will go to them, and rave about how good and fall off the bone tender and smokey and etc. Thanks, but I think I'll pass.

FWIW, the best ribs I ever had was from a guy cookin under a shade tree behind a liquor store. Had a little 20 gallon drum offset, and a pile of oak. Unbelievable. Only had ribs of comparable quality maybe 4 times in 30 years. So I understand the quality of the cooker is not as important as the skill of the cook.
  • markem
    markem Posts: 54
    Snob doesn't seem quite right for me. My friends would probably use the more colloquial "****". As in, "John is a BBQ ****."
    You, sir, are an inspiration.  I have a place near me that prints direct to t-shirt (big frog). I think that I will have this t-shirt made:

I'm not a BBQ snob
    I'm a BBQ a$$hole

You made my day.