Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OE: 52 lb pig on a caja china

Options
TonyA
TonyA Posts: 583
Just thought you guys might like to see these. The box works as advertised. This was almost too easy.

Comments

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Huh?
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Are there supposed to be pics? 

I always thought one of those would be cool, but I have no need to cook a whole pig.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TonyA
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I just "disagreed" with your "Oops" post. It was an accident. I think La Caja China is awesome!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @carolina q - you can click the disagree button again and it will delete your initial disagree. Just a FYI.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    @carolina q - you can click the disagree button again and it will delete your initial disagree. Just a FYI.
    Well I'll be damned, so it will. Thanks!! All better now. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TonyA
    Options
    I have inadvertently hit so many buttons on this forum that I would not be surprised if half the people on here wonder what my deal is.

I don't need to cook a whole chicken much less a whole pig .. But it is curiously satisfying.
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    BigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 629
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I was cooking at a bbq festival about a year ago and someone used one of these things for a whole pig. I was not thoroughly impressed. the meat was dry and not-so-flavorful. It sure looked cool though.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Can someone explain the Caja China in simple terms?  I've seen people post pictures of this thing on FB but don't understand the charm of it.  The instructions on the end of the box were interesting, but pretty confusing.

It looks like it would not be too expensive to buy and I'm guessing it simulates a pit cooked pig in your backyard. Doesn't seem like any smoke or charcoal flavor given to the meat as the charcoal is just up top to keep the heat.

So...I assume I don't get it.  (cuz I probably don't)  ?
    Can you use it to cook anything else, or is it best for pigs?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • TonyA
    Options
    Not expensive, not hard to cook on , no smoke flavor, very good results. The directions say to bring the pig up to room temp before cooking. You could do that in the box with an amazn smoker with the lid ajar if you wanted smoke. The absence of smoke however does not detract from a high quality result. You could cook whole lamb or goat. And you could certainly cook many multiples of chicken or turkey or pork picnics. (If you are going to use it, cook something with skin)
  • TexanEgger
    TexanEgger Posts: 37
    Options
    Congrats.  I'm trying a 31# on my LBGE, going on in a few hours from now.  I thought about the caja china, but wanted to see what I could get out of the Egg and didn't know what else I could do with that contraption.

Some Grills Are More Equal Than Others!