Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Are you a BBQ snob?

hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980
A friend said I was turning into a BBQ snob. Now that I have been egging for about 2 years now I correct people who use a gasser that they are not BBQing, they are grilling. None of my friends or anyone else I know ( minus social media relationships) own an egg. I continually extoll the virtues of the egg to anyone who will listen or asks. If they do think I am a snob they sure look the other way when they know I've got the egg sparked up and hint or invite themselves over. # confused

Comments

• markem
    markem Posts: 54
    No particular reason to be a snob.  They like what they are doing and call it BBQ and no reason why you should correct them.  Mind you, when you are pulling something off the egg, saying, "now this is BBQ!" is certainly warranted.  Let them have their illusions and let you have the killer BBQ.

• hondabbq
    I don't do it spitefully mostly in good humor. I would never do that to someone I don't know.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited May 2014
    Go with me on this ...

I don't like when people try to push their 'religion' on me. Yours happens to be the BGE lifestyle. heed your friends comment. it wasn't a compliment.

Time to re-think his what he said to you. Good friends are hard to come by.

Best ~ Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If was cooked on a grid over a truck stop toilet and tasted good..I dont care.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    henapple said:

In my experience it hardly ever tastes good when prepared like this.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Would anyone be one one of these sites if we weren't. I'm a charcoal snob and damned proud of it.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • hondabbq
    SoCalTim said:
    Go with me on this ...

I don't like when people try to push their 'religion' on me. Yours happens to be the BGE lifestyle. heed your friends comment. it wasn't a compliment.

Time to re-think his what he said to you. Good friends are hard to come by.

Best ~ Tim
    This " comment" came from the same guy who knew I was putting on a pork butt last weekend, and asked me to do one up for him. Do you see the conundrum
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I'm a BBQ snob, but it has nothing to do with the egg. The best bbq I've ever had has came off of a stick burner.

At the end of the day...it's the indian, not the arrow. ;)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • hondabbq
    Good point Cazzy. I too have had some good grilling off a gasser.
    Part of into think for me is, being in my field of work and being classically trained, I don't often blur the lines of methodology.
    Love me or hate me.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    The food usually ends up doing the talking. Which is a good thing most of the time. I usually don't ever say anything negative or give someone grief especially when they are nice enough to feed me. I do catch some crap though for owning an egg. I won't say a word and I'll get, "sorry...It's not fancy like the egg" or "Oh I suppose you do this on the egg." (Which will be something stupid like instant potatoes)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    henapple said:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    I don't think people call me a BBQ snob. They do however thinks it's odd that I show them pics of my food and belong to a blog dedicated to the egg. I was talking about how everyone in this world thinks it's a requirement to have a FaceBook account one day when this guy from work said FB is getting a little ridiculous because people are posting pics of their dinner. Everyone started cracking up laughing, he honestly didn't know about my eggsession because I don't work with him very much. So to answer your question, I don't think of myself as a BBQ snob, just PROUD!!!
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    I'm a BBQ snob to the extent that now, after Eggin 2-3 times a week for a couple of years I don't go to a BBQ restaurant unless they can beat me and that list keeps getting smaller.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Botch said:
    henapple said:

Is this where ABT's started?
    =))
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I am a BBQ snob as well, mostly when it comes to restaurants as their food is usually not even close to what I cook and I have to pay a lot for it. My friends call me a snob because I never want to go to BBQ restaurants.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • hondabbq
    WeberWho? said:

The food usually ends up doing the talking. Which is a good thing most of the time. I usually don't ever say anything negative or give someone grief especially when they are nice enough to feed me. I do catch some crap though for owning an egg. I won't say a word and I'll get, "sorry...It's not fancy like the egg" or "Oh I suppose you do this on the egg." (Which will be something stupid like instant potatoes)

I get that too
  • hondabbq
    It seems from a few post above that I am in the norm so to speak. There a lot if similar comments that I/we have been through.
    We , my friends and I, used to frequent a place called Montana's for BBQ, ribs especially. I don't go any more either as I think and they also think that the eggs are better. When I want ribs I cook them. When they want ribs they go there. The same goes for brisket( mine needs some work still), wings pork, steaks.

I guess I see there side when I don't do the BBQ restaurant thing anymore.
    I would love to go south whee some of you live and have true authentic BBQ.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I guess I went through a phase where I was probably a little insufferable. Back before the "new" wore off. I remember one visit to my brother's house when I was about to go into the charcoal vs gas thing (he has a Weber gasser). He told me in no uncertain terms that he didn't want to hear it. Before I even got going. I haven't said a word about egging to him since. Even cooked on his gasser a while back. It was good. Needs lava rocks instead of flavorizer bars though. Hahaha.

Now, I just cook what I cook. As often as not, on the kitchen stove. Or egg leftovers. A spatched chicken can last a week! Yes, I do still use the egg, but not nearly as often as before. And I don't preach. Ever. To anyone.

As for restaurants, I have yet to find a decent Q joint up here in BBQ Wasteland. I just don't eat at them. So yeah, in that respect, I am a snob. 
    :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited May 2014
    For me it's not just BBQ, but all mid-level restaurants in general.  I still like authentic ethnic restaurants, like Indian, Peruvian, Japanese/Sushi, Thai, etc.  But the whole Fridays, Outback, Burger Pub, Gastro Pub, Sports Pub type places that were once tolerable are no longer enjoyable.  

A friend cooking on his BBQ/Grill?  I keep my mouth shut.  I help if I am asked.  A lot of what I have learned here can be translated to gas grills.  

The fact is the egg has cause a lot of us to educate ourselves.  If we take what we learned back to a gas grill, or even the kitchen oven, we would produce results many times better than before we got our eggs.
  • Carolina Q
    Cowdogs said:
    If we take what we learned back to a gas grill, or even the kitchen oven, we would produce results many times better than before we got our eggs.
    Amen!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2014
    To me BBQ is anything done indirectly where the food is not exposed to IR from burning fuel, usually with added smoke wood - do that quite often on my gasser or my egg. Grilling is something when food is exposed directly to IR from burning fuel, do that quite often on either my gasser or my egg.  
    Now what was the difference again?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    To me BBQ is anything done indirectly where the food is not exposed to IR from burning fuel, usually with added smoke wood - do that quite often on my gasser or my egg. Grilling is something when food is exposed directly to IR from burning fuel, do that quite often on either my gasser or my egg.  

For me it's enjoyable and a great experience on the egg(even if things don't go the way I want). I've only used lower end gassers on and off. Worked okay out of the box, but I always had problems ranging from regulator problems to grease fires that I couldn't put out and everything in between. I always returned to briquettes until I found the light. I found this website and got an egg. No looking back. Don't get me wrong, I've had good food off gassers, but once again it's the enjoyment I get from the egg.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I don't think it's a snob to think your food is good...I hate tgi/ruby's/o Charley. ...but ragging a guy whiles he's cooking isn't cool. What if Aaron Franklin was over and started in on how his brisket was better and he could cook 40 at a time? It'd get old quick.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Carolina Q
    To me, BBQ means a pulled pork sammich. Period. My eastern NC experience, I guess. Anything else is just "grilled stuff".  :D

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,319
    I validated my manhood years ago-w/o any props!  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Yes, I know the difference between great taste and ok taste. And I like great taste better no matter where it comes from.I would never say bad about someone`s cooking, but I would think it.I have spent years cooking with gas or on a weber kettle and they were great cooks.But now I have my Egg and so far every cook has been Awesome,Today will be my 74th cook.
  • cazzy
    Ktim said:
    Yes, I know the difference between great taste and ok taste. And I like great taste better no matter where it comes from.I would never say bad about someone`s cooking, but I would think it.I have spent years cooking with gas or on a weber kettle and they were great cooks.But now I have my Egg and so far every cook has been Awesome,Today will be my 74th cook.
    I agree with you but wow, you keep track of your cooks?   =))
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Yes cazzy I do, I am still new to this Egg life so I am sure the novelty will wear off but for now I am still like a kid with a brand new toy! =))
  • cazzy
    edited May 2014

Ktim said:
    Yes cazzy I do, I am still new to this Egg life so I am sure the novelty will wear off but for now I am still like a kid with a brand new toy! =))
    Yeah, it does wear off.  Although, 73 cooks and no cook threads?  I'm ready to see the fruits of your labor!!   ;)