Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt - Advice please

Options
I have 2 10lb butts and I'm intending putting them on my XL at 8pm tonight. I'm assuming 1.5 hours per pound so anticipating FTC around 11am tomorrow. I need guidance please on the set up. Indirect, legs down? If so would I put the unwrapped butts in a shallow baking tray on top of the plate setter? Or use my extension thingy and put the butts on the grate higher in the dome? I seem to remember reading suggestions of legs up with the grate resting on the legs? Thanks in advance! Have a great weekend Everyone.
Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE

Comments

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    I'd go plate setter legs up with standard grate on legs and butts directly on grate. Cover the plate setter with foil optionally to make cleanup easier but has no impact on cook.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Plate setter legs up with a couple of drip pas to catch the drippings*, grid on setter, butts on grid. 

*Drip pan is optional, but it keeps the plate setter from getting nasty.  Also a good idea to use some kind of spacer under the drip pan so the drippings don't burn.  Balls of foil, SS nuts, a cooling rack...something like that. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JeffCowley
    JeffCowley Posts: 35
    Options
    I agree with the previous suggestions of platesetter with legs up; grate on top of the platesetter; then the butts right on the grate.  I usually wrap my platesetter in a few layers of foil to help keep it clean.  I seem to never have drip pans handy, but I've always got foil.  

Happy cooking!
    Eggin', craft beer and good cigars.  Tampa, Florida
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    If you can avoid FTC, I would. Do it if you have to, but it doesn't make for a better end product.
  • Nicholas_Wetton
    Options
    Thanks, I appreciate it. I was thinking FTC because I also have 6 large racks of baby backs to cook before guests arrive. I was planning to get the butts finished and the start the ribs.
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Thanks, I appreciate it. I was thinking FTC because I also have 6 large racks of baby backs to cook before guests arrive. I was planning to get the butts finished and the start the ribs.
    Sounds like a good plan.  If time gets away from you on the butts or the ribs you can crank it up as high as 350 to make up the ground.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Your plan sounds great @smokypitt is exactly how I will be doing them Sunday night. I have two 10 pounders and a brisket. My LBGE will be smoking for a while. Good luck.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Sounds like a good plan.  If time gets away from you on the butts or the ribs you can crank it up as high as 350 to make up the ground.
    Or just finish them in the oven.  It might be better to do that and keep the egg cool for the ribs.