Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help with DINO beef ribs !!

dldawes1
dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
I need some help with my beef ribs. I smoked 3 racks this weekend for 3.5 hrs at 320F. They were perfect. For my prep the day before I cooked, I pulled off the membrane, rubbed with Lea &Perrins, course sea salt and course peppercorn. The finished flavor was perfect in many folk's opinion (even mine!). BUT...I want the taste of the beef ribs at the Brazillian Churrascaria places that I have eaten. I can't describe the taste or flavor that I am looking for. I tried reheating some of my ribs after rubbing them down with minced garlic and additional course sea salt....... Maybe a little closer to what I'm looking for.....but still not there yet. I need your help !!!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    What kind of ribs did you cook.  There are at least 3 types of beef ribs. Back ribs are from the loin and have meat between the ribs - these are the same ribs that are on a rib roast.  Then there are Chuck Short ribs which are usually sold by butchers cut into individual riblets with a hunk of meat on it. The third type of beef rib are plate ribs which come from the Plate section and look a lot like Chuck Short ribs.  Uncut short ribs have 4 bones and uncut plate ribs have 3 bones.

There is a big taste difference between the back ribs and the other 2.  I think Plate Ribs have the best flavor.

I've eaten at many Brazilian restaurants and think that the ribs they use are plate ribs.

Plate ribs are hard to find - ask your butcher. Just be sure to specify that you want plate ribs, not chuck short ribs and not to cut them.  There are many posts here on the forum that describe cooks with plate ribs.  One that I made that has lots of pictures is at
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161966/beef-plate-ribs

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I think they cook them like my FIL does, more like a steak. Hot and fast, & direct. He cooks them well done, but by no means low and slow. The flavor is very different from low and slow. Agree with your rub of salt and garlic.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • dldawes1
    @SHIFF....I understood that the plate and chuck ribs were the 7-8 bones above the ribeye. 3 large bones were one section and the next 4 smaller bones were the chuck ribs. Maybe I am wrong. There is always confusion around terminology in different parts of the country. My racks were 7 bones each and the longer ones were about 6 inches long. Now I don't know what I had !!!!!! After studying meat charts I guess I had back ribs from the rib section and need to ask for plate short ribs from the plate section ????? Maybe that is the same thing you said !!!!

• Shiff
    @dldawes1 I get my Plate Ribs at Restaurant Depot where they are plainly marked as such. They also sell Chuck Short Ribs which I will will be trying next to get a comparison.   At RD, the Plae Ribs were $6.28/pound and the Chuck Short RIbs were $4.29/pound. Both were marked as "Superior Angus Beef" but that might not mean much.  They did have USDA Choice non-Angus Chuck Short Ribs for $3.99/pound.

A butcher might be able to order the Plate Ribs
     as IMPS 123A.

The bones in your picture are back ribs.  I used to love them until I discovered Plate RIbs.

A great reference for beef cuts is at:
    http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELDEV3003281
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    This guy seems authentic :).  Looks like all you need is gigantic salt!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• dldawes1
    @SHIFF....I will be calling my butcher in the morning !!!! I sure hope he takes care of me !!!!!! I certainly appreciate the lesson. All you folks are awesome !!!!

• dldawes1
    @SHIFF and friends....Beef plate short ribs are rubbed down and waiting for tomorrow. Bought 10 pounds at $3.49/lb.  Man these things look awesome. Beautiful marbeling and lots of protien !!!!!

Thanks for helping me learn about beef ribs. My butcher said he will cut me ones still attached together if that is what I want, but he already had these cut into ~1lb pieces.

Thanks again you are all awesome.

Donnie

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    @dldawes1-should be a most eggcellent cook and that is a great price for the short ribs.  Can't find 'em here for that...Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dldawes1
    @LOUSUBCAP....my official butcher shop is now Brooks Butcher Shop in Walton. They are taking great care of me.

• Shiff
    edited April 2014
    dldawes1 said:
    @SHIFF and friends....Beef plate short ribs are rubbed down and waiting for tomorrow. Bought 10 pounds at $3.49/lb.  Man these things look awesome. Beautiful marbeling and lots of protien !!!!!

Thanks for helping me learn about beef ribs. My butcher said he will cut me ones still attached together if that is what I want, but he already had these cut into ~1lb pieces.

Thanks again you are all awesome.

Donnie
    That price is incredibly low for Plate Ribs.  I was just at Restaurant Depot and Plate RIbs were $6.28/pound while Chuck RIbs were $4.29 - these were both for USDA Choice Angus beef with Select a little cheaper. However, since yours are already cut, it might be hard to tell if he really gave you plate ribs(3 ribs) or chuck short ribs (4 ribs). The meat is very different but the cooking method is similar.  That was why I mentioned that when you order them don't have him cut them up. 

The description of my cook is at: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161966/beef-plate-ribs

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • dldawes1
    @SHIFF. Thanks again. I have been able to trust my butcher. He's been taking very good care of me. No complaints !!! Thanks again for your help and advice. Sorry it took so long to get back with you. Everything turned out awesome.

Donnie