Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Never forget! (Memorial Day)

Options
grege345
grege345 Posts: 3,515
Let us never forget what this weekend is all about! I like many here are former service or current service. Point is we are still here. A lot are not. Thank you to all the families who are w/o their loved ones this weekend. They are the ultimate Americans! image
LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

Comments

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Hear, hear to that. Freedom isn't free. Thanks to all who have served or continue to so.
    I don't agree with all the causes we're fighting for but I salute your unquestioned loyalty and valor.
    Best to all this weekend, especially those who gave it all.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    Aye!

Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery this morning. I thought that the miniature flags would be up by now. They will be installed tomorrow morning by truck loads of boy and girl scouts. I shall return! No wasted time here as this is a very short bicycle ride from my house and a beautiful place to spend time.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• grege345
    Options
    @chashans‌ yep that's amazing. Hoorah

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    And fly your flags this weekend. Mine is up year round. L-)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• grege345
    Options
    @bud812 agreed!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    There's the CIC.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited May 2014
    Options
    It is not a sign of disrespect to not have your hand over your heart for the anthem. People have become convincedl that any patriotic song, especially the anthem, requires the hand over the heart. No. You are rememberig grade school, and the pledge.

When my father went to school, he was taught the Bellamy salute. Should we all do that now?

I saw someone throw a beer at a woman because she didnt have her hand over her heart during the 'anthem'. It was 'America the Beautiful', during the seventh inning stretch

I actually don't put my hand over my heart during the anthem either. One, because it's not the pledge of allegiance, which is where the hand-over-the-heart idea actually comes from and Two, just so I can see who the outspoken so-called 'patriot' will be that calls me out on it.

Those who put their hand over the heart for the anthem do it because everyone else does. Not because it is appropriate.

We aren't reciting the pledge here.

The Anthem should be observed with silence and respect, and a doffed hat.

The brow beating of those who know this, by those who don't, is a sign not of patriotism, but of ignorance.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• grege345
    Options
    During revelee we never put our hand over our heart. However, a hand over the heart can't hurt durin anthem. @SenecaTheYounger‌

• SenecaTheYounger
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Can't hurt. Agreed

But only a judgemental 'patriot' thinks less of someone for not doing it.

A lot of people fly the flag and are proud of it.

I do too.

They judge me about not putting my hand over my heart during the anthem (something they invented, and only a recent development).

Should I judge them when they let the flag fly unlit at night? Or in a storm? Or when the flag is tattered, faded?

Do they take it down every day?

Usually the answer is no. Sometimes they have a flag on their antenna, tattered to pieces. Or a bathing suit printed as the flag.

And somehow they feel comfortable judging who and who isn't "patriotic".

An oddly patriotic thing for a man to do is to not berate the person who sits during the anthem, or not assault the one who burns the flag. Because as offensive as those things may be, exercising that right is an American privilege.

I'd rather put up with the Westboro idiots than suffer the idea that rhe Republic is in danger because of them. It isn't.

I was lucky to escape war. And I thank God for those who had the courage to go. And I thank God especially for those who didn't have the courage to go, but went when they were called.

But I'm no less a "Patriot" because I don't put my hand over my heart. What I am is not a demonstrative chest thumper.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seneca Falls, NY

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    Options
    I had no intention of getting into this thread but I do have a question (and yes, I have defended the burning flag right) but those who think it is fine to not salute (hand over the heart, stay seated,  fail to remove the hat and more), did you sign the blank check to the US government?  If you did then I'm sure that while you may be able to rationalize the behavior I would hope that it did not sit well.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    All gave some, some gave all.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Lou, observing the Anthem respectfully INCLUDES saluting, and the hand over heart, but does not require it, and never did.

And it is NOT a sign of disrespect to clasp your hands in front of you and stand silently in observance.

And although I can certainly see why some might believe otherwise, and I appreciate their service, having served does not make you better than those who haven't, or make anyone more qualified to judge people.

Unless of course you are saying it does.

I once watched a flag burning. In public. I found it offensive.

You know who was burning flags? The boy scouts.

They were accepting flags that were damaged and in need of disposal, and burning them as a service. They'd take them, then squirt lighter fluid on them in a metal patio fire pit set up on the town common. They'd light them and then salute them as they burned

Being a hardass, and former scout, I mentioned to the scout leader that, well, actually, a flag burning done to remove a wasted flag from service is to be done in private

Which is my way of saying that quite a few of the chest thumping, judgemental, self-professed patriots aren't even familiar with the rules they purport to be enforcing.

One of them is believeing that saluting is a requirement for properly observing the anthem.

It's like praying in public. Just about the very thing a truly observant person SHOULDN'T do. It's not about making a show.

Seneca Falls, NY

• SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    Wife said, or used to say, I should recognize when I was out of place, and then remove myself.

So I think I should.

Seneca Falls, NY

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the topic of the thread is Never Forget! (Memorial Day). Often times our forum strays off topic, but this is one that should NOT. It's about remembering, not about customs and courtesies. Even a flag burner should have the common since to remember who gave them that right to burn the flag. To all, enjoy your Memorial Day, just never forget.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @Seneca jr.  I'm a patriotic American, huge history of service in both our family bloodline, and blood was paid.  I think I love ya, man.  Love henapple too.  There's a poisonous politics going on.   The country supersedes politics.  You'll find more patriotic paraphernalia in the average  secessionists home, but isn't trying to break up the country the most unpatriotic act?  Both sides have trumpeted "terrorist!" to the other.  I don't listen to volume.

Anyway, well said.  These are nothing but hollow ad ad hominem attacks.
    Options
    Back to the original topic - thank all of you for your service. Happy Memorial Day to all. My Dad and two brothers were career military 20+ years, and while I never served due to other circumstances, I truly appreciate all those who have fought for our freedom. Let's all honor those who have sacrificed and celebrate this holiday as it was meant to be observed. Thank you all again for your commitment and service.
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2014
    Options
    henapple said:

There's the CIC.

They need a whole new "flag" for this! Don't get me started.

I salute all my fallen brothers and sisters. Let not your memory fade. And may we ALL always remember that your sacrifice was not in vain. Thank you for protecting our Freedom and our American Way of Life. God Bless America.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Memorial day everyone should come together.   The point should be we all are a country. 
    Options
    and that should be every day.  Look out for yourself, but be kind to others.  Respect their beliefs.
    Options

Memorial day everyone should come together.   The point should be we all are a country. 

Totally agree! Memorial Day is not politically motivated. It is to remember those who selflessly died for us to remain a free country. I salute my fallen brothers and sisters. May they rest in peace knowing they served our country well. And to their families the same. God Bless America.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that has served or is currently serving!  I truly appreciate the freedom you have provided me and all Americans!
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I guess I'm ignorant @SenecaTheYounger‌ ...I didn't say you have to put your hand over your heart but this the president or CIC. It's not political to call a guy out for being a bad president. He's made no bones he dislikes our country from his apology tour to the continuation of the VA hospitals.

I didn't say I hate democrats or liberals. I'm ashamed of most of the people that run for the presidency. If this is the best we can do we're surely f@$&ed.

I'll agree thiugh...this isn't the place so I'll drop it.

Thanks to all ya'll that have served in any capacity.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    God Bless them all.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • shadowcaster
    shadowcaster Posts: 620
    Options
    Thanks to my Grandpa and everyone else who served for this great country!
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Thanks to all who gave.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    SEMPER PARATUS - Have a great Memorial Day Shipmates!
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Thank to all, past and present who have served this great nation! I go every year and lay wreaths for both my grandfathers and for many other brave souls who's family cannot!

photo E5B8E670-0C73-416A-AF97-83B93D1F1FD7_zpstr4wl0b8.jpg

photo BF142A9D-9FCC-490F-8CEB-C99735EC0D9E_zpsk3z88bh8.jpg
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    I am a proud veteran of the US Army. While I appreciate all the comments thanking me, please know that Memorial Day is not my day. My day is Veterans' Day. Memorial Day is dedicated to those who died in service to their country. It is my belief our words on this day should honor only them. Please don't wish anyone "Happy Memorial Day". I know you don't mean to offend, but there is nothing happy when we think back to our brothers/sisters lost in battle. Have your BBQ (duh), but please remember this holiday wasn't meant just as the start of summer or so people could light their lump. :) I salute those who gave the ultimate sacrifice to their country and send thoughts of thanks and love to their families.

Likewise, army vet here, and yes, our day is Veteran's Day! But on Memorial Day I certainly remember my fellow OBC classmates and friends who's names are on the wall.

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!