Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Under Construction...

I am working on a little table modification. I have a new Medium Egg being delivered and the goal is to get both Eggs into one table. I think I have it figured out. I'll update as I go. 

Comments

• HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Good luck and will be interesting to follow.  Not sure if it is how the picture is taken, but your table looks to be bowing in the middle where your Egg sits.  
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    HDmstng said:
    Good luck and will be interesting to follow.  Not sure if it is how the picture is taken, but your table looks to be bowing in the middle where your Egg sits.  
    It is. Suggestions for "fixing" that? Think a middle support would fix it?
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    i would add some "legs" in the middle or you could move the XL over to make room for the medium.... 
  • JwgreDeux
    JwgreDeux Posts: 139
    Your exposed joists for your top are placed with wide side up, if your support level is done in the same manner, that is a contributing cause to your lack of support.

Additional support legs would likely improve this issue.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Just curious how you plan to arrange them?  I think I would put an egg at each end so you have plenty of workspace in the middle.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Big_Green_Craig
    JwgreDeux said:
    Your exposed joists for your top are placed with wide side up, if your support level is done in the same manner, that is a contributing cause to your lack of support.

Additional support legs would likely improve this issue.
    Yeah, the bottom ones are vertical. The ran the top ones like that bc of the way I mounted my top. I think I am going to throw some vertical leg supports under it. 
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Just curious how you plan to arrange them?  I think I would put an egg at each end so you have plenty of workspace in the middle.  
    That is the game plan! 
  • HDmstng
    Might want to replace the 2x4's with 2x6's on the bottom shelf.  Moving the Egg's to the edges will also help.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    HDmstng said:
    Might want to replace the 2x4's with 2x6's on the bottom shelf.  Moving the Egg's to the edges will also help.  
    Or you can sister a second 2x4 on each if you have a problem with it bowing.
    You might have a problem with the bowed pressure treated staying that way. I doubt you can bend them back. With as little expense as I see there I would start over...maybe 6x6 corners but definitely 2x6 frame..jmo
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Oh, if you do start over be sure to put the crown up on framing and rings up on the platform. I'm not a fan of pt wood. Has a tendency to warp and twist.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    I think I am going to replace them with 2 x 6. That's already a lot of weight. Then to add more weight. It just makes sense. 
  • Big_Green_Craig
    So, I replaced the bottom supports with 2x6's and reinforced the cross beams underneath, I was able to use the same boards for the decking. I also assembled the new top. (upside down in the pic) It's 9' long. Is that a little overboard?! HA! 

Do I need a leg in the middle????  (that is just a temp in the pic) 
    imageimage
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Maybe a single leg set into the middle of the lower shelf- Like the support post under some king and cal-king beds. That way you won't catch your foot on it!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• nolaegghead
    Everyone overbuilds the crap out of everything.  2x4s are fine for two eggs and a 6 foot span.  You can google the dead and live weight loading of the material and you'll find (what is it, 6' span?) it'll hold a hell of a lot more dead weight than your eggs will contribute. 

Anyway, I'll stop raving, but no, you don't need a center leg.  I think the 2x6 is fine if you think it looks good.  Cuts down on your under-storage space.  I pine for the days where people used mechanical engineering to design stuff.
    Let me amend the above by saying your bottom shelf needs to be a "system" (AKA built correctly).  If you don't have any cross supports you will get some noticeable deflection, possibly, over time.  Worst case scenario - you built it with #3 pine, lots of knots, it has some deflection.  Just tie it into the top in the center rather than a leg to the ground.  Truss structures have strength - they're strength multipliers in a way, given the amount of material.  That's what makes a tube strong.

I see all these tables over-built.  Nothing says amateur construction like a giant f*cking lumber structure holding something delicate and beautiful, like a big green egg.  Sorry, but I'm in a-hole mode.  No, I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I'm a fine woodworker and I've built many structures, commercial and for fun in coordination with mechanical engineers.  Sadly, overbuilding something is the politically correct way of operating, as we just use brute force to make sure we don't have "liability issues". 
    Let me amend the above by saying your bottom shelf needs to be a "system" (AKA built correctly).  If you don't have any cross supports you will get some noticeable deflection, possibly, over time.  Worst case scenario - you built it with #3 pine, lots of knots, it has some deflection.  Just tie it into the top in the center rather than a leg to the ground.  Truss structures have strength - they're strength multipliers in a way, given the amount of material.  That's what makes a tube strong.

I see all these tables over-built.  Nothing says amateur construction like a giant f*cking lumber structure holding something delicate and beautiful, like a big green egg.  Sorry, but I'm in a-hole mode.  No, I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I'm a fine woodworker and I've built many structures, commercial and for fun in coordination with mechanical engineers.  Sadly, overbuilding something is the politically correct way of operating, as we just use brute force to make sure we don't have "liability issues". 
    HA! I completely understand. As you can see, I am no woodworker or carpenter. I am in the electrical field. I understand what you are saying. People always over-engineer to cover up their lack of knowledge or understanding. No hiding it here. 

I plan to move in about a year so I didn't want to go too elaborate with anything. I just need something functional for that time frame. Once we are in our new place, I plan a more permanent setup. Almost like an outdoor kitchen. 

Thanks for the input! I will keep that in mind.
  • HDmstng
    Everyone overbuilds the crap out of everything.  2x4s are fine for two eggs and a 6 foot span.  You can google the dead and live weight loading of the material and you'll find (what is it, 6' span?) it'll hold a hell of a lot more dead weight than your eggs will contribute. 

Anyway, I'll stop raving, but no, you don't need a center leg.  I think the 2x6 is fine if you think it looks good.  Cuts down on your under-storage space.  I pine for the days where people used mechanical engineering to design stuff.
    If 2x4's were good enough for the deflection, he wouldn't have had to fix his bottom shelf!  ;-)

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Nolaegghead. ..the framing for my new mini egg.
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Henapple, I saw a picture of you. That's overkill..... Even with a mini on there. :D
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @hennaple...if that was in FL I'd say where's your "hurricane straps". If State code could force a little kid's swing set to have them I think they would.
    :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @hennaple...if that was in FL I'd say where's your "hurricane straps". If State code could force a little kid's swing set to have them I think they would. :))
    Well, Hurricaine Andrew wasn't very nice to swing sets or roofs back in the day...
  • nolaegghead
    I remember Andrew, It came to Louisiana after Florida.  Spawned an F3 right near my work.
    I remember Andrew, It came to Louisiana after Florida.  Spawned an F3 right near my work.
    I watched on TV. I was still single digits.
  • nolaegghead
    I just moved to NOLA in '91.  When it hit I was living in the Garden District on Camp and Jackson about 3 blocks from Anne Rice's Mayfair house.  Really cool neighborhood.  Then I bought a house in Algiers point.   Here's her house....it's in many of her books. 
    My table is looking rough. It's not that old but just needs cleaning up and I made some casters rigged up and didn't treat that wood so it's rotting and it's tilting some. Very interested in your build up. I think I'm just wait and make a whole new rig next year.

XLBGE 
  • Gadfly
    Gadfly Posts: 121

You need to move the load that is currently supported by the "planks/boards" to the peripheral "beams". For that you need to make a kind of "box" where the egg goes.

In short, the load should be carried from one set of "beams" to another set of "beams" and then the "beams" around the table and from there to the 4 table legs.

If you check out the "standard plan" on Naked Whiz web site, you'll know what I mean.

• SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited May 2014
    It's not bowing, it is lens distortion. The back railing and all horizontals follow the same curvature

Even laid flat, he has no structural issues. The spans are tiny and the weight not significant.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• Big_Green_Craig
    I finished this morning, Here are the results.imageimageimageimage
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Nice setup.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.