Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moldy wood ok?

Options
Bought some pecan chunks today in a plastic bag. Unfortunately I didn't notice it was moldy. Ok to use? When I split it open, it appears to just be moldy on the outside. The place I bought it is far from home so returning it isn't really possible. Thank you.

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options

Sorta funky if you ask me.  I might take a hatchet to them and try salvage some of the internal wood if I had to use something?  I think I would pass.

I tend to think good food and work backwards...not moldy wood and work the other way.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I would put it out in the sun, keep it dry with plenty of airflow. See what happens.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    It's fine. Dried and dead within a few minutes.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I picked up a few logs of mesquite from a restaurant that had a little mold. Figuring I'll Mapp torch the mold and cut it up.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    Because it's dangerous?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seneca Falls, NY

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    henapple said:
    I picked up a few logs of mesquite from a restaurant that had a little mold. Figuring I'll Mapp torch the mold and cut it up.

Yeah I thought about just torching the wood with my weed burner torch. It's just on the outside of the wood. I'll let it dry and then go from there.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    Just throw it in the grill and stop worrying.

What exactly is the concern here?

Seneca Falls, NY

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Just throw it in the grill and stop worrying. 
    Good point. Worrying does get old!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    People are cooking high fat food over carcinogenic fuel, eating portions five times the RDA, and asking "is it safe if I use lighter fluid?"

Seneca Falls, NY

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    Good points y'all. I am cooking for others otherwise I wouldn't have thought twice about it. I live in a very dry and non moldy place so I don't have much mold experience.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    Brush off the obvious stuff.

Toss the rest in with the lump and light.

When the grill is to temperature, it will be fine

I'd say there's only a 30% chance you will kill anyone n

Seneca Falls, NY

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    3 n 10 chance not bad!!!

Just playin Seneca :D

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.