Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FINALLY grilled Paiche & made some killer Fish Tacos (pics)

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
That crazy amazon fish called PAICHE went on sale again so picked up two nice pieces at a great price.  I wrote PAICHE on the forum previously, but never purchased it because I got scared away when I researched this river fish from peru . . they are a true river monster!  

I wanted to do simple tacos, so I went with vinegar slaw, radish and a simple cumin/chili/lime greek yogurt sauce (use 2% Fage Greek Yogurt and you will never buy sour cream again). Spiced the fish with a Chile Lime rub and grilled raised direct at dome temp of 500 for about 10 minutes.  Flipped after 5 mins.   Turned out amazing!  Only bummer was that I bought parsley instead of cilantro and didnt realize until the first bite - ooopps!  As for the fish, it was Super moist, not too fishy . . . we loved it!  If you see this fish, I suggest you try it!

image image
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man those look excellent.  I will have to keep my eye out for this fish.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Bookmarked! Dayum that looks good!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • NDG
    Options
    Thank You.  I proposed to my wife in San Diego over some amazing fish tacos, so this meal brings us back.  

I will not hesitate to buy Paiche again, but I think it is only a "whole foods" thing right now?  They have a source and they are pushing it hard.  I am sure somebody will tell me its overpriced blah blah blah, but I paid $14 for those two fillets and couldnt be happier with the outcome.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options

How would you describe the taste? Mild? Fishy fish? I'm always on the lookout for alternatives as I can't have Salmon all the time. Swai is one but it has a funky taste that I'm not fond of. Family will only eat mild (read Halibut) fish. At $25 a pound, we don't have that often.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • NDG
    Options
    It was described to me as "mix between a halibut and a cod, without any fishy flavor".  I am far from a seafood connoisseur, but I would agree with the description. 
    Columbus, OH

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    NDG said:
    That crazy amazon fish called PAICHE went on sale again...
    I checked Amazon and I couldn't find it???  

:D

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NDG
    Options
    Ha funny.  Maybe this pic will help clear things up . . . even though I am pretty sure mine was "farm raised" in Peru.

Columbus, OH

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Those finished pictures make it look like a grilled chicken breast.  Looks great either way.  Will keep an eye out for it.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL