Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

FINALLY grilled Paiche & made some killer Fish Tacos (pics)

NDGNDG Posts: 1,240
That crazy amazon fish called PAICHE went on sale again so picked up two nice pieces at a great price.  I wrote PAICHE on the forum previously, but never purchased it because I got scared away when I researched this river fish from peru . . they are a true river monster!  

I wanted to do simple tacos, so I went with vinegar slaw, radish and a simple cumin/chili/lime greek yogurt sauce (use 2% Fage Greek Yogurt and you will never buy sour cream again). Spiced the fish with a Chile Lime rub and grilled raised direct at dome temp of 500 for about 10 minutes.  Flipped after 5 mins.   Turned out amazing!  Only bummer was that I bought parsley instead of cilantro and didnt realize until the first bite - ooopps!  As for the fish, it was Super moist, not too fishy . . . we loved it!  If you see this fish, I suggest you try it!

image image
Columbus, Ohio
·

Comments

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,890
    Man those look excellent.  I will have to keep my eye out for this fish.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 949
    Bookmarked! Dayum that looks good!
    Bristow Virginia XLBGE One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
    ·
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,240
    Thank You.  I proposed to my wife in San Diego over some amazing fish tacos, so this meal brings us back.  

I will not hesitate to buy Paiche again, but I think it is only a "whole foods" thing right now?  They have a source and they are pushing it hard.  I am sure somebody will tell me its overpriced blah blah blah, but I paid $14 for those two fillets and couldnt be happier with the outcome.
    Columbus, Ohio
    ·
  • Cymbaline65Cymbaline65 Posts: 799

How would you describe the taste? Mild? Fishy fish? I'm always on the lookout for alternatives as I can't have Salmon all the time. Swai is one but it has a funky taste that I'm not fond of. Family will only eat mild (read Halibut) fish. At $25 a pound, we don't have that often.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
    ·
    It was described to me as "mix between a halibut and a cod, without any fishy flavor".  I am far from a seafood connoisseur, but I would agree with the description. 
    Columbus, Ohio
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,890
    NDG said:
    That crazy amazon fish called PAICHE went on sale again...
    I checked Amazon and I couldn't find it???  

:D

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
    Ha funny.  Maybe this pic will help clear things up . . . even though I am pretty sure mine was "farm raised" in Peru.

Columbus, Ohio
    ·
  • saluki2007saluki2007 Posts: 1,149
    Those finished pictures make it look like a grilled chicken breast.  Looks great either way.  Will keep an eye out for it.
    Large BGE
    Morton, IL

·