Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hacksaw

Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
Anyone use a hacksaw blade on roasts that have not had the bones separated?  I am tired of beating up my good knives.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    We use then when we quarter deer during hunting season.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Or a fine tooth reciprocating saw blade in a hand saw similar to a sheetrock saw. I have one that folds the blade out and securely holds any recip blade. Never thought of using it but, if I ran it through a comm dishwasher and sanitizer it would be food safe. That's actually a pretty darn good idea Doc. Or just have a new one solely dedicated for food. Hmmm nice.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Doc, isn't that what a cleaver is for? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Doc, isn't that what a cleaver is for? 
    I have a nice cleaver, but not a good location to really pound.  I suppose if I got a really thick cutting board it would disipate the blow on my granite counter tops.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Butchers use hacksaws all the time. Safe and efficient.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    i have an old ww2 army mess hall kit with a hacksaw in it
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Just use one of these, Doc. It'll get the job done. Just make sure the blade hasnt been used on anything else.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've used a hacksaw. Worked well, if messy. From what I know, most hack saw blades have finer teeth than a butcher's saw, and so clog up more. FWIW, for rough boning jobs, I have a couple of used ones I picked up at 2nd hand shops. One is a Dexter Russel, and another think is Chicago Cutlery. They are made for abuse. Can easily be sharpened to get thru most tough spots. Cheap enough even new to sharpen away to nothing.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Doc, get an inch thick board and put some rubber feet on the bottom. That will help with vibrations.

Some are even sold that way.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Most meat saw blades are SS are they not? They also have a much different tooth shape and set than a standard 10 tpi hacksaw. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Regular ones work, but they need to be cleaned w. detergent first to get any residues off them. And the finer teeth gum up really bad. Very hard to clean. I also used a miter saw once. That worked a little better, but I didn't clean and dry it well enough, and the next time I went to use it, euwww.