Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Hamburger Seasonings?

I'm going to do my first cook on the BGE for the extended family Monday!  My wife suggested hamburgers, so hamburgers it is.  I was thinking about doing stuffed burgers with sauted mushrooms and chedder.  Are there any special seasonings you recommend for hamburgers?

Thanks,

Steve

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

Comments

• hashissmokin
    hashissmokin Posts: 238
    I always mix my ground chuck with Lea & Perrins along with some salt, pepper, a little garlic, and egg.  If the meat is too moist at that point add some bread crumbs to thicken it up a bit.
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    I like to keep my burgers simple - salt, pepper, garlic powder, and one or two shakes of worcestershire sauce. 
  • hashissmokin
    New2Q said:
    I like to keep my burgers simple - salt, pepper, garlic powder, and one or two shakes of worcestershire sauce. 
    I would agree.  The selection of beef that you use is more important than seasoning.  If you cook with anything less than ground chuck you are wasting your time
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • SJ21XDC
    SJ21XDC Posts: 235
    Thanks.  Definitely going with a good ground beef.  I typically just go with Kosher salt & ground pepper, but looking for any ideas to make them a little more special.

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• hashissmokin
    Worcestershire will definitely add a good flavor to your burgers if you didn't already use it.  you're looking for ground chuck 80-20.  Not ground beef as it is packed with way too much fat!
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

Worchestershire is great... a fine diced raw onion adds flavor and moisture... blitz some dried mushroom in the food processor to a powder

Sometimes I add Thai Fish Sauce but I think that is beyond the scope of what you are looking for.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    My latest burgers have been fantastic. I've been using Fuddruckers burger seasoning and Montreal steak seasoning. Super easy and absolutely fabulous according to my family and friends. Also, Kings Hawaiian hamburger buns help a lot. Dang, my secret is out.
  • hashissmokin
    KingtUT said:
    My latest burgers have been fantastic. I've been using Fuddruckers burger seasoning and Montreal steak seasoning. Super easy and absolutely fabulous according to my family and friends. Also, Kings Hawaiian hamburger buns help a lot. Dang, my secret is out.
    Yeah those Kings Hawaiian buns are something else!
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Hawaiian buns are great with pulled pork too!!!! 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Bacon. Fry some then break it up and put it in the burger. Maybe a little drippings too.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    you can also season the bun by coating with a light butter washing then apply some rub to the exterior before browning, i do that alot with hot dog rolls where the seasoning gets lost with the toppings. i think with that gooey center it might be the way to go
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I like to add egg, lawrys, and worchestershire.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Fish sauce! No more than 1 tsp per pound, and maybe start with half that to make sure you like it. Don't double up on fish sauce and Worchestershire. 
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    SJ21XDC said:
    Thanks.  Definitely going with a good ground beef.  I typically just go with Kosher salt & ground pepper, but looking for any ideas to make them a little more special.
    Bacon!  And Gruyère!   That will make them extra special!  ;)
    What ever you do, have fun with it! Happy 1st cook... here's to many more! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Did someone say BACON! :@)

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Dutch_egg
    Dutch_egg Posts: 28
    +1 on quality beef, keep it simple with salt and pepper, I add a little dark beer.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Get your butcher to grind up a mix up of brisket, short rib and chuck- do it day of and go ahead and make 2 for everyone cause they will want another one
    Greensboro, NC
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    If you like your burgers thick, do not over compress the burger meat. I like to leave them loosely packed (like fresh out of the grinder) and only season them on the outside surfaces. I generally use salt, pepper, garlic powder, and I add a dimple in the middle of the patties to prevent shrinkage.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    BigWader said:

... blitz some dried mushroom in the food processor to a powder

Sometimes I add Thai Fish Sauce but I think that is beyond the scope of what you are looking for.

This is the ultra-umami formula touted by Cook's Illustrated, and I use it consistently in chili, burgers, soups.  One provides glutamates and one provides nucleotides; together they amplify each other a lot.  
    If this is your first cook for family, I'd keep it simple and skip the stuffed burgers; just mix 1 tsp fish sauce and 1 tsp dried porcini (or any other mushroom) powder (the easy-to-remember ratio) and some salt per lb of burger, and let the umami and the smoke wow your family.  Give 'em lots of toppings to choose from on their own.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• SJ21XDC
    Wow - thanks for all the great input everyone!  I do have a couple of questions. What is fish sauce?  I'm assuming Gruyere is a cheese?  What does it taste like?

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    +3 on the fish sauce. It will open up the Unami taste in your burgers. This is the I use image

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SJ21XDC

you can also season the bun by coating with a light butter washing then apply some rub to the exterior before browning, i do that alot with hot dog rolls where the seasoning gets lost with the toppings. i think with that gooey center it might be the way to go
    Do you apply the rub to the outside of the bun or the inside?  What rub do you use?

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    salt
    Here's a trick I learned that is designed for use w. really lean ground meats, but works well with ordinary grinds. For 1 pound meat. Put 2 medium sized onions in a blender, and reduce to mush. Place the mush in a strainer, and collect all the juice. Should produce about a half a cup. Heat half the juice, and drop in a packet of unflavored gelatin. When that dissolves, add the rest of the juice and a couple dashes of Wooster. Mix that into the meat. Let the meat sit chilling for 20 - 30 minutes before forming patties. The gelatin provides extra succulence, and even helps the surface crisp up a bit better. The onion juice gives all of the flavor of caramelized onions, and it suffuses the patties.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Salt, Pepper, Granulated Garlic, Mix in shredded cheese, worcester sauce
  • Tigers34
    Tigers34 Posts: 37
    +1 on Montreal Steak seasoning.  Top with sharp cheddar and grilled onions. 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    I normally used a little salt and pepper, but lately have been using Dizzy Pig Cow Lick on burgers and love it.  Sometimes I'll also put the beef in a large bowl and mix in a half cup of BBQ sauce and some chopped up jalepenos before making the patties. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• SJ21XDC
    gdenby said:
    Here's a trick I learned that is designed for use w. really lean ground meats, but works well with ordinary grinds. For 1 pound meat. Put 2 medium sized onions in a blender, and reduce to mush. Place the mush in a strainer, and collect all the juice. Should produce about a half a cup. Heat half the juice, and drop in a packet of unflavored gelatin. When that dissolves, add the rest of the juice and a couple dashes of Wooster. Mix that into the meat. Let the meat sit chilling for 20 - 30 minutes before forming patties. The gelatin provides extra succulence, and even helps the surface crisp up a bit better. The onion juice gives all of the flavor of caramelized onions, and it suffuses the patties.

Unfortunately, while this sounds good, most of the family is allergic to onions :(
    Just thinking out loud, but I wonder how this would work with a different substance (jalapenos, pickles etc..)?

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited May 2014
    +1 @KennyLee‌ said on the DP Cow Lick. I also hit with a Penzey's rub called Arizona Dreaming and some garlic salt. Works for us!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.