Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling all Spare Ribbers

Options
Doing my 1st rack of spare ribs on my MBGE on Saturday... interested in any & all tips.  I will be working in the yard all day so planning to do slow & low (~240).  Not against turbo method but not in a hurry this time.  Plan to trim them St. Louis style.. what does everyone do with the trimming?  Would love a burnt ends recipe.  Will start with mustard + Dizzy Pig.  Mix of apple & cherry chips.  Finish with VA's own Pork Barrel BBQ sauce.  Not planning to foil them but open to suggestions.
Fire away!  
My daughter named my Egg Shrek, because it is big, green, and burps.  
LBGE in Arlington, VA
God Bless America!

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Shrek‌
    When it comes to spare ribs I usually do not trim them when cooking them for myself. I personally love the flap meat and do not remove it. If you were cooking for color and points I would recommend removing it but for personal consumption it's really not necessary. I cook them one of two ways depending on timing issues. Either 275 for low and slow until done or 325 for turbo until done. Either way I do not wrap. There is nothing wrong with wrapping if you should choose to do it. It's just a different way of reaching a end result. As far as wood for smoke I always use either oak or a 50/50 mix of oak and pecan. These are my personal favorites. Which ever method you chose the ribs will turn out great either way. Good luck my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    I go ahead and cook the trimmings. They are the same, just a lot of small bones and other things you will not eat.  If you are having any helpers, these make good cooks treats as they usually finish sooner than the ribs.  As far as burnt ends, those come from the point of a brisket not ribs.  Hope this helps.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    I agree with SGH.  Although I will sometimes trim it and cook the trimmings alongside the ribs, as something for me to eat before the ribs ever see the table.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY