Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling all prior Eggfest goers - newbie etiquette?

Options
PNWFoodie
PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
I will be attending my first Eggfest at the PNW Eggfest in two weeks. I don't currently have an egg, but have been attempting some "training wheel" cooks using a Kamado Joe Jr. I will be picking up my demo XL at the end of the fest. For those of you with experience (either cooking or attending)...do you have a list of pointers or cautions for me? I want to learn as much as I can (about methods, additional gear, etc), but I want to make sure I use proper etiquette. Any helpful hints? Thanks, Sandy
XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
Sandy

Comments

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    In my experience, the BGE community is friendly and accommodating. If you have a question, ask. They will most likely go into an in depth, detailed description. We love talking Egg. Enjoy the food, go to the classes and meet some awesome people. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Pace yourself, there is usually a lot to eat!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I'm a newbie as well and haven't really come across any egg snobs.  I'm not too embarrassed to ask what I think may be stupid questions
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Hopefully you'll have someone with you to share samples with. That allows you to sample more before you get full (and you will get full). Taking classes also helps you to slow the eating.

As for etiquette, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you have questions and there's a big line behind you, step to the side so serving can continue or ask if recipes are available or will be posted. Perhaps try not to be that person who walks up to a popular sample and asks for extras for their 4 children, husband, sister-in-law, and cousin's father-in-law when there are folks waiting for their one sample. ;)
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    Thank you to RRRP for the link to the old forum, which I thought was dead.  My links no longer worked.

Here is your answer from one of the people who presents at an eggfest often.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Ask away! Perfect opportunity for any questions. Eggers are about the nicest people you can meet.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

I have been on both sides of the Egg as a taster and this year as a cook. Eggfests are a great time and all should enjoy.

As a taster early on I was not aware of the costs associated with being a cook. We just sampled and gathered information and tips about Egging.

Now since cooking at EggFests and experiencing the time, labor and costs that go with it, I have the upmost respect and appreciation for all of the cooks, volunteers and promoters that support the EggFests that we all enjoy.

Best advice I can give to a newbie, be patient, be respectful and courteous to all involved.

They truly are a great bunch to hang out with.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Thank you to RRRP for the link to the old forum, which I thought was dead.  My links no longer worked.

Here is your answer from one of the people who presents at an eggfest often.
    Seneca, if you take the link you posted above... http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1067822&catid=1

and replace the word greeneggers with eggheadforum and hit enter, the URL will be converted to...

For those who prefer the format here. Of course, it only works on posts made prior to the forum split. And it doesn't work in reverse.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @Carolina_Q Fascinating.  I mean, in addition to that server translation, how brutal the Atlanta crowd was described - stealing and eating raw italian sausage before it was cooked, etc.  In that degree of primal survival behavior kicked in states volumes in how powerful an emotional experience the crowd was stoked into.  Epic times.  I was mostly cooking indoors back then.
    Options
    @disabled Jupiter Jim‌ Thanks for the insight. Believe it or not, I was actually tempted to sign up to cook, as I LOVE cooking and am sure I would have a blast! BUT, having never cooked on an egg before, I didn't think I would be the best role model for the tasters, lol. This way I get to wonder and be inspired....but I do intend to seek out and find my egg's "birth parents". :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    If you cook DO NOT cook for over 80 min's. Most new types try to cook all day and miss so much. Also cook. Get you feet wet, there will be people all around you for help. Just keep it simple and short. You will like the experience so much more if part if the whole thing.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fasteddiem
    fasteddiem Posts: 212
    Options
    @ disabled jupiter jim  That's the Egghead spirit! My favorite part of cooking is talking to the people about how I cooked the dish and the setup on the EGG! That is why we are there!