Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Georgia Mountain EggFest 2014

Here is my writeup and photos from the Georgia Mountain EggFest: 
http://necessaryindulgences.com/2014/05/georgia-mountain-eggfest-2014/

So much fun!  Huge thanks to the cooks and @egret for making it all possible! 
I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Hate that I was late getting up there..... made it in time to pick up a demo egg.  Now I'm hungry!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Wonderful presentation, Kristi! Love it. Thank you so much for coming to the fest and being the "official" photographer! I knew you would do a spectacular job........but, you did even better than that!! :-*
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Thank-you Kristi.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Amazing. Wish I had been there. My egg skilz are lame compared to these folks
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Moosebranch
    Moosebranch Posts: 24
    We made it in time to taste 1 dish and the rain but still enjoyed ourselves. Everyone was very kind and informative. We picked up a large demo egg. It was nice meeting ppl and them telling me to give them a call if I needed help with anything! Great community here ;)
    Large Egg
    Atlanta
  • fasteddiem
    fasteddiem Posts: 212
    Great to see you, Kristi! It was a pleasure to get to know you and John! 
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Great write up and pictures Kristi. We had a great time. Sorry we didn't get a chance to say hello.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Those are great pics! Really wanted to make it but again was foiled. The bloomin onion looked particularly good, does anyone have a recipe for that??
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Great pix, Kristi!  You and John are a fun couple to be around.  It was a pleasure meeting you guys.  And I'm glad to see I didn't break your camera!  :) 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Very nice job on the pics and write up Kristi! You must have been running all over as you got pics of a lot of people and food that I didn't even see (or perhaps I was too stuffed to eat anymore). It was nice to meet you & John.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Much better as a Flickr fullscreen slideshow! Thanks for posting!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2014
    Thank you for sharing that @NecessaryIndulg‌ :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Jeremiah said:
    Those are great pics! Really wanted to make it but again was foiled. The bloomin onion looked particularly good, does anyone have a recipe for that??
    The recipes will be posted about June 1st, or sooner, on our web site as soon as I get them all compiled and formatted. http://www.mountainegg.com/recipes.php
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @NecessaryIndulg‌
    Looks like a lot of great food and a lot of great people having a heck of a good time. Ma'am you did a incredible job with the presentation and the write up. Wish I could have attended.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Thank you for posting such wonderful pictures. It was such a pleasure seeing and visiting with you and your husband.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I would have been afraid to point a camera at @Dyal_SC. He'd probably break it. Great pics and thanks for sharing them. YOu gonna make it to any Texas fests next year?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Thanks, y'all!   It is a really cool Eggfest.  If you haven't already, start making plans to attend next year.  :)]
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148

great pics!  never been to an eggfest.  may need to do this one next year.  best pics ive seen

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Eggsellent job Kristi as usual.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Frogbelly
    Frogbelly Posts: 2
    It was my first Eggfest. Such a great time. Nice people, beautiful scenery and great food. Everyone was so informative and willing to share little tips, tricks and recipes. Will definitely become an annual tradition.
  • Bearlodge
    Bearlodge Posts: 45
    Thanks for the great photos!
  • terry_b
    terry_b Posts: 68
    Thanks! I always look forward to your eggfest wrap ups. Thanks for sharing.

Question what is the meat that was used for this? This is totally awesome:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1165943/georgia-mountain-eggfest-2014?#
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited May 2014
    @terry_b‌ - the meat on the sword skewers is known by a few names, Top Sirloin Cap, Rump Cap, or Picanha as the Brazilians refer to it. If you have a butcher with access to a NAMPs (National Association of Meat Purveyors) guide or IMPS (institutional Meat Purchase Specifications) guide the cut is identified as #184D. You can download the IMPS guide here: http://www.chefs-resources.com/files/Meat-Buyers-Guide-PDF/IMPS Beef Guide.pdf

Good luck finding it in our neck of the woods. I've been searching for years in California and can only seem to find it at Restaurant Depot in a case (about 50 lbs worth). Someone in GA told me he gets it from a Mexican carniceria. Misu, the gentleman cooking it at the fest, found some at his Costco.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    I buy this cut in South Florida at Restaurant Depot and they call it culottes. Never had to buy a full case because they generally sell it in smaller quantities at the Riviera Beach location.
  • terry_b
    terry_b Posts: 68
    edited May 2014
    Great! Thanks @R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q said:
    @terry_b‌ - the meat on the sword skewers is known by a few names, Top Sirloin Cap, Rump Cap, or Picanha as the Brazilians refer to it. If you have a butcher with access to a NAMPs (National Association of Meat Purveyors) guide or IMPS (institutional Meat Purchase Specifications) guide the cut is identified as #184D. You can download the IMPS guide here: http://www.chefs-resources.com/files/Meat-Buyers-Guide-PDF/IMPS Beef Guide.pdf

Good luck finding it in our neck of the woods. I've been searching for years in California and can only seem to find it at Restaurant Depot in a case (about 50 lbs worth). Someone in GA told me he gets it from a Mexican carniceria. Misu, the gentleman cooking it at the fest, found some at his Costco.

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    We enjoyed Misu's picanha so much that I ordered the swords/skewers off of Amazon and special ordered a top sirloin cap from the butcher at HEB.  Going to give it a go on Saturday with another one of our cooking buds who FINALLY caved in to our pressure to get a BGE. 
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739

Interested in the picanha a well. What rub is applied to the meat just salt or other spices as well?

Thanks

LBGE Atlanta, GA