Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weather enclosure for a DigiQ DX

Driving Hamster
Driving Hamster Posts: 43
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
Hey all, Since I do not shy away from cooking on my BGE in foul weather (rain showers, thunder storms, snow storms, Super storm Sandy, etc) I decided to whip up a little weather enclosure for my DigiQ DX. The plastic shopping bag wrapped around it just wasn't cutting it anymore. I came up with this little enclosure stand. I went to Home Depot and bought a small Plano water resistant storage box (over by the tool bags, garage storage bins). I took the bottom clasp off (pops right off, can be put back in easily). I sat the box up on it's end and drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the bottom to allow the cords and probes to come in. I then bent the aluminum stand that came with the DigiQ back to about a 45 degree angle. I held the stand against the back to the Plano box and marked the holes. Drilled two holes and put some small flat head machine screws with lock washers (washers on the outside of the box). Attached the stand to the Plano box and then Velcro'd the DigiQ unit against the back of the box all the way at the top. The hole in the bottom for the cords will not let water in unless your enclosure tips over (solution is below) or your box gets taken over by a flood. If that's the case you have bigger issues. All that is left to do was bring in the cords for the power, fan and temp probes in from the bottom, set the DigiQ to what ever settings and then close up the box with the two remaining clasps. Works like a charm. I will be adding a stainless steel screw to the table top to slide one of the grooves on the aluminum baseplate into to keep it from toppling over in high winds. Tip: bring in the fan cord through the hole first as it it the biggest and will not fit in with other cords in there. Total cost outside of the DigiQ itself, about $6.25.
Large BGE. Southeast Pennsylvania. @BrianObst

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice.  You can also put a clear plastic bag (like a sammich bag) on it and a tie to hold it on to the wires.  You can control it through the bag.  I used to do that but now I just let it get wet.  I'm under a cover but wind blows rain on it all the time. 

I took mine apart after a year of getting rained on and it looked brand spankin' new inside.  The enclosure has a gasket.  I can't recommend my level of apathy because I'll feel terrible if someone's controller leaks.  Do not take my advice!  ;)
    This is an awesome idea! I'm going to have to try this!
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Do they make one about twice that size?  I'd love to be able to mount a Maverick in there as well.  Great idea Hampster!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • @Bowhunr, yes they do. The one I used was the smallest they had there.
  • Went thru my first real weather test with this setup. We had a *nasty* rain and hail storm here the other day. Lots of broken car windows and holes in people's vinyl siding from the hail. Thankfully we are fine and the egg didn't get cracked. The unit stayed bone dry on the inside. Putting this in the win column.
  • Jaime_Doug
    Jaime_Doug Posts: 57
    That looks great. Any easy to fabricate ideas for protecting the fan from rain? I have an uncovered patio and want to do some rain cooks.
    Doug/Jaime in Tucker, GA   Could almost walk to BGE Mothership  LBGE
  • I haven't come up with a fan protection strategy yet. I am not certain that it needs it though. It appears to be sealed and I have used it in absolute downpours without issue. I just position it on a slight angle so the water runs off. Time will tell I guess.
  • Jaime_Doug
    Jaime_Doug Posts: 57
    I saw one guy on here that had what looked like one of those big dog collars that keep them from scratchin their heads. Might hv been a pail with the bottom cut out. I hate rain and Jawja is just bummin me out recently
    Doug/Jaime in Tucker, GA   Could almost walk to BGE Mothership  LBGE