Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm hooked!

Options
So bought me a LBGE did some burgers chicken, all turned out well. Tried my hand at pizza all were good just black on the bottom but didn't ruin the taste. After reading some post I guess I should have used some cornmeal on the stone. I've also read that brisket is difficult. So naturally I dove right in. Went to walmart and got a packer it was about 14 lbs. rubbed her down the night before was on the egg at 730 the next morning. There I was my first low and slow. What to do now... Cut the grass yard work and everything I could do to keep busy from opening it up. 8 hours later and IT of 200, probed throughout it seemed perfect. FTC for an hour then briefly rested before I sliced it up ( had to wait for the family to get there). I'll let the pics explain the rest.... Only problems I saw were once I got past about the 7 the slice the flat started to shred, but it was also where the point started, which I know there is a great layer of fat between the two. After talking with some fellow eggers I now know I should have sliced the point off , chopped it made burnt ends. My family and neighbors absolutely loved my brisket! To date I have had great success with my LBGE! Next post will be my over night 18 hour pork butt!

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Congrats! Welcome to the addiction.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Looks great! So in Canada, you cannot get a packer brisket at wal-mart, how much a lbs was it?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options

Welcome aboard-Most eggcellent start.  Fast cooking hunk of beef you had...nice smoke ring too.

Regarding the point, I'm in the camp of just slicing and eating the point, I find it much better than the flat.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Congrats. Another convert to the cult. Me? I'm not the biggeest fan of burnt ends. They are good, but I like to seperate the flat and point and continue to slice the point. Just make sure to switch how you are cutting it so you continue to cut against the grain. I prefer the point and if I could just buy that, I would.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• CMC16TRK
    CMC16TRK Posts: 4
    Options
    I believe it was about 4.29 per pound. I enjoyed the point as well. The layer of fat was like butter. I really haven't had that much brisket but was assured by several that it was good.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Yep, slice the point perpendicular to the flat.

I love burnt ends, but regardless, the point is the best part no matter how it is prepared.
    NOLA
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    Nice work it looks like the Brisket was fantastic 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Great work! Welcome.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• CMC16TRK
    Options
    Thanks, ill post my pork a little later. Thinking of what to do for my next big cook

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Nice smoke ring as well. Welcome and look forward to more posts
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Looks good. How did you get a 14lb brisket done in 8hrs low and slow?  I've never had one done in less than 1.5hrs per pound low and slow.
    Dearborn MI
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome aboard! You are off to an most excellent start. Very nice!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • eggLaTech
    eggLaTech Posts: 28
    Options
    Welcome. Nice cook. Plan to do a brisket sometime soon. Hope it comes out as good as yours.
    Baton Rouge, La - I'm going to quit procrastinating.......starting tomorrow.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Welcome to the mayham. Eggcellant cook. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • hashissmokin
    hashissmokin Posts: 238
    Options
    My first cook was a brisket too...Did it last weekend and I had very similar results.  I have cooked brisket before on one of those R2D2-looking smokers, so cooking on a BGE was a walk in the park.  I found it amazing the way the grill held the same temp for as long as it did!
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • CMC16TRK
    Options
    KenfromMI said:

Looks good. How did you get a 14lb brisket done in 8hrs low and slow?  I've never had one done in less than 1.5hrs per pound low and slow.

Well I did have trouble at first with the temp so for the first hour or so it was a bit higher temp, and I'd imagine after I trimmed it and cut a corner so I knew which way the grain went after the cook
    It was not quite 14 lbs. I guess from now on I will post the trimmed weight.
  • MJH
    MJH Posts: 102
    Options
    I remember when I had my first beer.... I mean BGE Cook.

Yeah. It's a life-altering eggsperience. Have fun with it.