Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where I learned of grilled pizza

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
I would have sworn I bought my two pizza peels sometime in the mid 80s. This afternoon, I finally found the magazine that "inspired" the purchase, mixed in with some rarely used cookbooks. Fine Cooking, June/July 1996, Issue #15. So much for the 80s! 

My scanner died so I took pics of the article if anyone is interested. Basically, indirect heat, cook one side of the dough (no toppings), remove dough, flip, add toppings to cooked side, return to grill until done. I used to do this on the Weber by placing coals around the perimeter and the pie in the middle. For the egg, I'm thinking a platesetter or rig indirect with the dough on the grip.

Anyway, here's the article. Hope you can see it! (pp 2 and 3 are reversed. Dunno why)

imageimageimage

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Jeronamo
    Jeronamo Posts: 50
    Options
    I used to cook pizza like this all the time on the gasser but haven't done in years since we got the egg. It was always good, I should try it again.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I made my 1st attempt at a pie many moons ago on one of my first gassers. It was good until...BGE. No comparison. Nice find on the article!!! ;-) I have once or twice rolled out a raised direct pie but, definitely prefer raised indirect at 650℉-750℉.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Ha! I wasn't suggesting that anyone try this on a gasser. Though I'll bet it would be fine. Mine were cooked on a kettle. It would be interesting to see a pizza cooked like this on the egg... platesetter, legs up, directly on the grid. Or maybe raised direct. I may try it next time.

Personally, I think the author piled way too much stuff on his pie. After warning us not to.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Carolina Q‌ raised direct wasn't bad but, can't really go to hot because of the radiant heat. Definitely preferred the raised indirect high temp over all of the pies I've made. Which reminds me I haven't made pizza in quite some time.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I used to cook my grill pizza like that.   Mostly came out great.
    Options
    I was similarly inspired a few years ago, tried to do direct pizzas on my Weber, but the bottom burned before the top was cooked.  At the time the concept of heating a stone or "raised direct" were alien to me, and I never considered putting the fire on one side and cooing indirect.  I have a method now that works, probably won't change.  I have learned a lot.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    What a trip down memory lane. We did pizzas on the offset smoker. Had to keep door open and had to keep turning the dough so the side closest to the fire box would not burn. The egg pizzas are so much easier.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I've cooked some direct on the Egg at 400. Don't have great pics of it but it works if the dough is super thin.

The post was here.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    ^^^ That thin crust looks really good.  :)

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Griffin, thanks for the link. Looks good, though I've never been too crazy about super thin, cracker-like crust. I'll probably play around with it a bit though. As I recall, the pies I did on the kettle were pretty good.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options

Hey Michael

Cool post

Kinda forgot about these.

Cooked on a kettle for ten years before the Egg

Made some killer pies this way.

Shane