Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chops on the small and a unmbrella

Options
Whole pork loins go on sale from time to time at our local grocer. 2$ a lbs and I snag one every time. I cut it into around 4 pieces and freeze then for later. Perfect size for our family. There's a tail end though that I toss into the grinding pile for later. Today I sliced some chops off and threw them on the small for supper. Snagged an umbrella at lowes for $40 drilled a hole and loving the addition to the table. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Two please
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Great looking grub and the umbrella is a nice addition.  It's even green :D

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Love using my umbrella :-). Nice looking setup.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Nice set up. Cool plate. Glad you kept the small.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Quite a nice little egg spot you have:)

And I'll take a double order as well.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Look damn good Ryan.  I'd hate to mow your yard though.  Get some goats.
    Options
    Thanks guys.

@Hi54putty‌ yea man. I've used it the last three days actually! I've been liquidating excess junk to buy new junk and the small has been on and off the list.

@nolaegghead‌ man I'd hate to mow it too!! I've got a stupid good deal with a yard boy.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    @caliking‌ Man it's nice. Just a quiet place out in the country but I love it. Thanks man! My rooster crows all day but it's getting kinda homey, and the hens should be laying any day now. I'm jump like I've found gold when I actually have an egg waiting on me in the morning

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    @caliking‌
    @nolaegghead‌

This guy is my newest addition. Starts crowing about 5 am and never stops till dark. He has a busy job keeping 9 ladies satisfied but somebody's gotta do it.

I had a lady wanting to get rid of some goats but swmbo said no real stern.

XLBGE 
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Nice eggs... great backyard... and really cool plate.

I wouldn't mind picking up a small or a medium egg one of these days for when its just the wife and I eating.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @MrCookingNurse

I'd love to raise some hens for eggs, but SWMBO is concerned we'll have a stanky poop situation, and considering our property is 35' x 150' and we're in a very densely populated, old part of New Orleans, I wonder.  I think I'm going to counter with plan B if the sh*t starts piling up:  Eat them (the yard birds, not the poo).
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌

Man about all they do is poop. I have ten and they have 30sq ft coop and I have to clean it weekly to keep it clean. I scrap around 1-2 inches of poop and straw mix and just take it straight to the garden.

I'm in an open air place so the smell isn't bad until I actually get into the coop. You'd prolly get a wif in a neighborhood but you'd be surprised how quiet and small of an area you could put 3-4 hens.

XLBGE 
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    MrCookingNurse    I would be careful with that umbrella if a big wind comes it could possibly tip over the table and then you will have 2 broken eggs just saying 

2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @MrCookingNurse - yeah I was thinking about 3 or 4 hens.  I am a bit worried about other animals....the cats will freak out on them, but I hear they can fend off cats (and will actually start attacking them).  We have a number of raccoons living around us.  They coexist with the cats, but will they kill the hens?
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌

Coons are pretty high on the predator list for poultry. You'll want your coop/run locked down tight

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    MCN- if you only knew how badly I want to raise some chickens! My town/suburb won't permit poultry on property  less than an acre, and the coop must be at least 100 ft away from any permanent structure. When we lived in Iowa, I somehow got a free subscription to Backyard Poultry magazine, and I have dreamed about it since.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.