Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp. problem

Options
Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This has happened to me twice. I light the charcoal. Go inside and find out the dome temp is 300. What is the best way to get it back to 225.[p]Thanks in advance,[p]CWM

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, Best solution is to not go inside... once the temp starts approaching (-50 degrees or so) form the desired temp, start closing the vents. It is tough to get the temp back down - I have had some success in closing the bottom vent, dropping on several fire bricks (to absorb the heat) and then closing the top and the top vent. [p]I usually take the 1st approach and don't go inside (or at least not very far away) until I get the temp where I want it. [p]Good luck![p]
  • Car Wash Mike,
    Please read Brisket - lessons learned posted by Nature Boy yesterday 8/3 .It works.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Gordon is correct - don't go far away. In time you learn some tricks, the less time Humptey gets above your ideal cooking temp - the easier it is to get back down. Opening the dome won't work, more air is sucked it and the fire gets hotter. I close up as if I was holding 200 deg dome - ie: daisy closed and vent open a knife blade width. This allows ait so you don't snuff the fire all together.[p]One trick is to lite your egg and after the starter (I use fire cubes) gets going, close the vent 1/2 and the slide daisy slid 1/2 open too. This will prevent the egg from zooming into the stratosphere of temps while your back is turned. [p]Tim