Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to get grid to felt line

Options
Ktim
Ktim Posts: 364
Are bricks the best way or should I buy An AR, I want to cook raised direct. I have a platesetter which I use legs up with grid on then a BGE grid extender to get up high. But I want to do raised grid direct.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited May 2014
    Options
    2 or 3 fire brick on the side with an auxiliary grate is what I do, but if you want to try the balancing act the brick can be resting on the top edge of your fire ring, but should they fall in they could break your firebox plus dump your food!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If money is no object, then an AR is the best way.  If it is, get a second grill grate and use some bricks.  You can buy a Weber grate (around $13) about the same size as your factory grate and use that to hold $1 bricks.  The factory grate can sit on the bricks.
    Options
    Or take a look at the Woo and spider from Tom at the CGS
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    Options
    I have the same desire, I think the Woo is the route I am taking.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    I use the half width fire bricks. I use three and balance on the edge of ??? Fire ring? I take RRP's point about them falling. Mine have fallen a couple of times. Guess I'm lucky it didn't crack anything.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    Thanks guys that is exactly the setup I was hoping to see,as I have two of those bricks in my oven. (for bread) and I have an old weber grid. But then what good is an AR.I would like to get one because I love tools!
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I had some tabs welded onto the ends of 3.5 inch bolts and bolted them to my grate.  If I need them to come off I can always unscrew them, but usually if I'm going direct and it needs to be low in the egg I use my cast iron grate.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I use 3 flower pots. Adds no thermal mass, and they stack for storing.  I also use them to raise my pizza stone higher in the domeimage
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    ...and they look like normal flower pots, but they're made from red aerogel?
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I agree with Nola: if you wanted to spend more than a few bucks, you'd never regret the AR. I guarantee it'll live in your egg. 

If you want to save money and store some greasy bricks or pots like I used to when you're not using them, then forego the AR.
    Dunedin, FL
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    + 1 on the AR you won't regret it.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    As I told Tom recently, the AR is serious overkill for me. I have never needed to cook more than one level of food and I have a homemade method to raise the grid (works just fine). I might consider a Woo one of these days, but for me, the AR is just too expensive and WAY more than I'll ever need.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    I have a one piece welded AR and Sider combo and I can't imagine cooking without it. In the large BGE you already have the best grill on the market, put the best rack system into it and get the most out of it. IMO. The AR is an excellent purchase and you will not regret spending the money for it. 
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Options
    3 - 4.5" bolts, 3 locking washers, 3 flat washers an 6 nuts (all stainless) and your at felt level. If you want to get lower just flip the grid.

LBGE

BTFU!

• Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Options
    I have a second grid (17" weber) on 4 4" carriage bolts for a second level when needed. In a little over a year it's been all I've needed and in total I spent about $20.

LBGE

BTFU!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I use this guy all the time. All SS and for under $35-$45 depending on where you buy the hardware etc. I don't own an AR but, I'm sure if I did I'd love it. For me this serves its purpose quite well.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I don't actually own an AR, but I did use one when I cooked at Salado.  I still use bricks and an extra grate for raised direct.  It's not the money, I just haven't gotten around to ordering one and I'm doing fine as is.
    Options
    And if you don't want the messy bricks or flower pots to deal with then just pound three aluminum canned beers and use the empties as the second grid support.  Every time you go "raised" grid, you get half a six-pack head start!  Many ways to get there-FWIW.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    +1 for the purchase of an extra grid, plus washers and bolts enough to make some legs and feet.

Personally, I use three feet.  More stable, just as strong, and one fewer legs means it's a bit easier to stack it over other foods below (without the foot running out of real estate).
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    I think BGE makes an extended grid that has legs that fold flat.
    Gittin' there...
  • Jaime_Doug
    Jaime_Doug Posts: 57
    Options
    With what we pay for our eggs, $100 thermometers, digi/stoker toys et al, I don't consider my R&B AR an eggstravagant expense. Heck I'm ordering an extender for it shortly. Mo ribs at once is good thing
    Doug/Jaime in Tucker, GA   Could almost walk to BGE Mothership  LBGE
  • RRP
    Options
    yes they do and I love mine. Trouble is most people who use them don't "spring" the legs tight enough to grip the grate underneath and then call that unit inferior which it is NOT. Let me find a picture.
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    yes they do and I love mine. Trouble is most people who use them don't "spring" the legs tight enough to grip the grate underneath and then call that unit inferior which it is NOT. Let me find a picture.
    When "sprung" tight like this it will work quite well and then fold flat when not needed.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @RRP‌ I have the same BGE grid you have pictured but, to me the spring legs are to short to give enough lift room for multi level cooking. Or perhaps I just prefer my homemade raised grid that has 5" of lift. The BGE extend grid IS quality made but, it's one of the things I wish I had waited to purchase (probably would've passed on it).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    And agreed most don't set the legs on it correctly. I do like the hinge feature on it. And every now and then I do use it. Just not like my regular raised grid that's all.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    When you look at how well the AR is made, what you can do with it, and how long it will last, I think it more than justifies the cost. Just the fact that you can pick the entire unit, with all the grates and even the diffuser stone. up and remove it or place it in your egg easily is worth the cost

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I admit, the AR looks great, and I will probably own one someday, but I have been getting by for now.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Have a Woo for all three eggs. Pre Woo used crushed beer cans..
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx