Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Open category

Options
I am entering a small town BBQ contest here in a couple weeks, on the flier it says there is an open category. I am planning on doing St. Louis style ribs and chicken, for the open category I'm not sure, I was thinking of trying green lightning shrimp. Does anyone have any suggestions for something else? Or thoughts on the shrimp?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Janssen14‌
    If it's a truly " open " category with no restrictions pick something that you really excel at and go with that. Most folks love shrimp so if you are good at cooking them I say go for it. Also want to wish you the best of luck at the event. Let us know how you do my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Janssen14
    Janssen14 Posts: 50
    Options
    Thanks! Will do
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I guess it depends on how complex you want to go.  If you want to focus more on the other two categories, then keep it simple with shrimp.  If you think you have the other two "nailed", then you could look into doing "exotic" types of ATBs.  @Hennapple did some with chocolate not too long ago.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL