Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Great from scratch salsa for bbq.

sumoconnell
sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,

My wife's family is from Mexico, and we enjoy salsa with about everything. We have a non spicy salsa we love with ribs, thought I'd share.

Note, we usually have a few salsas with dinner, each one simple with its own flavor. Then folks make their own tacos from there..very de-constructed from that pov.

Smokey salsa:
- 2 large, under ripe tomatoes
- 2 Serranos per tomato for mild, 6 per for hot. (Note, the hotter, the longer the shelf life). I do mild with this salsa, and make a separate one that is spicy. (Flavor isolation..de-constructed! )
- 4 guajillo(sp)/anaheim dried peppers.
- Salt to taste, for this less than 1/2tsp? depends on tomatoes.

Roast the heck out of everything..the dried peppers go fastest, get them a little char, the tomatoes take the longest - almost cook them through. Blend like crazy with a handi-blender, salt and enjoy!

I love this on ribs, brisket, Etc. Great replacement of bbq sauce! I eat about half with chips before my meal is ready.

For today's cookout, also made pico de Gallo, and regular roasted salsa (hot)..same recipe as above, without guajillo.

Sorry for blurry finish pic. Also, I didn't get the cookout on the egg, that's for next time.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @sumoconnell‌
    Thanks for sharing. I'm going to give this a try for sure. Sounds amazing my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Looks great and can't wait to try it.    Been looking for some salsa recipes ever since I went to Houston last year and ate some Mexican food - don't care for salsa from a bottle any more.  

Any grilled guacamole recipes?  I had some orange colour kind in Houston, not sure what it was but it was good.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I love grilling all my veggies on the egg for salsa.  Try and do this about once a month and can them.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    EggNorth said:
    Looks great and can't wait to try it.    Been looking for some salsa recipes ever since I went to Houston last year and ate some Mexican food - don't care for salsa from a bottle any more.  

Any grilled guacamole recipes?  I had some orange colour kind in Houston, not sure what it was but it was good.
    Hi @eggnorth -

I've not seen orange guac before - might have had some peppers in there that gave that color.  If they were habenjero's you would know!

My guac recipe is simple too... and people ask for the recipe.  Here it is..

Avocado, ripe, smash with a fork.  Add some salt.  Enjoy!

If people want other flavors in their food, that's why I serve Pico de Gallo, hot salsa and this smokey salsa on the side. :)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.